Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]GPU/Display problem (i915)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
greenlobster

[SOLVED]GPU/Display problem (i915)

#1 Post by greenlobster »

Hi everyone :) ,

Being used to install Debian without any issue for quite some time now, I come here seeking help.

Here is the situation:
- After installing Debian 9.5.0 with Gnome on a ASRock J4105-ITX Motherboard/CPU, I get an "Unknown Display" limited to "4:3 800x600";
- "lspci | grep VGA" give me "Intel Corporation Device 3185 (rev 03)" and, from what I understand, it should be supported by the i915 module;
- However, "lsmod" shows me it is not loaded and "lsinitramfs" confirms it, it is not part of the modules loaded at boot;
- I then add it to "/etc/initramfs/modules", update initramfs and reboot but it does not change anything;
- I notice that the value of "/sys/modules/i915/parameters/modeset" is -1, so I set it to 1 in "/etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf" (which I had to create), update intramfs and reboot again but still no luck;

An idea anyone ?

FYI, the only i915-related error I get with dmesg is "No i915 binding for Intel HDMI/DP codec" which is sound-related, not display-related.

Thx !
Last edited by greenlobster on 2018-11-05 11:41, edited 2 times in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: GPU/Display problem (i915)

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Your hardware is probably too new for Debian stable's ancient kernel, does stuff work if you load up a "live" version of the testing ISO image?

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... so-hybrid/

^ These images already have the non-free firmware required by recent Intel graphics cards.
deadbang

greenlobster

#3 Post by greenlobster »

Thanks for your reply. Someone else on another forum also pointed that fact to me and suggested to install a backports kernel, which I did, and it worked! I was so used to Intel simple and cheap GPU being supported out-of-the-box that it didn't even cross my mind, my bad.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

greenlobster wrote:it didn't even cross my mind, my bad.
No worries, please add [SOLVED] to the thread title to help others, thanks!
deadbang

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

What! Didn't that other poster say the old kernel ran fine on his older NUC and, based on that, he pooh-poohed our recommendations to try the backports kernel for 2018 hardware? :?
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

stevepusser wrote:What! Didn't that other poster say the old kernel ran fine on his older NUC and, based on that, he pooh-poohed our recommendations to try the backports kernel for 2018 hardware? :?
Since this is starting to come up all the time now, don't we need an update of that nice upgrade post you did for Bunsen Labs?

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:don't we need an update of that nice upgrade post you did for Bunsen Labs?
I could do a new kernel HowTo for this forum, I'm not too sure about the graphics stack requirements though because all of my hardware is ancient :mrgreen:

Anyway, give me a few days, I was up watching the MotoGP race at 5am this morning :D

EDIT: congrats on the 10k posts, btw 8)
deadbang

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
stevepusser wrote:don't we need an update of that nice upgrade post you did for Bunsen Labs?
I could do a new kernel HowTo for this forum, I'm not too sure about the graphics stack requirements though because all of my hardware is ancient :mrgreen:

Anyway, give me a few days, I was up watching the MotoGP race at 5am this morning :D

EDIT: congrats on the 10k posts, btw 8)
I know that my Intel UHD 630 integrated GPU (Coffee Lake) was getting software gallium 3D rendering with Stretch's Mesa, but Mesa DRI hardware rendering with the backported Mesa. I'm fairly sure that the newer AMD Ryzen iGPUs can need a newer Mesa, too.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by p.H »

stevepusser wrote:What! Didn't that other poster say the old kernel ran fine on his older NUC and, based on that, he pooh-poohed our recommendations to try the backports kernel for 2018 hardware? :?
FWIW I am the other poster and don't know what you are talking about.