Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NVIDIA drivers - again!

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bw123

Re: NVIDIA drivers - again!

#21 Post by bw123 »

Reinstallation of nvidia-kernel-dkms is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
This happens when you have a newer ver installed than is available. Since you've installed a ver from bpo, and now commented out backports in sources.list, you can't reinstall, and you can't get any needed dependencies. It looks like you have marked pkgs to be installed form backports, but before that could happen, you commented it out and apt updated the available pkgs.

There's a 'backing out in case of failure' on the nvidia wiki. It might help you get it all removed, then start over. I would try the stable ver first, spend a little time on it, and if it absolutely will not work, then I'd remove it, and try the backport version. When using a backported video driver, I'd probably use the newest backported kernel too. That's one possible thing to try now, since you have the headers, and the dkms, why not reenable backports repo, install the 4.18 backported kernel and see?

Hang in there, and when you get it working, let people know, thanks.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

jlarysz

#22 Post by jlarysz »

OK, I finally have Nvidia drivers working. Thank you everyone for your contributions.

Here's a summary as I see things.

1: I have a "standard" most-recent Debian distribution for Windows. I cannot use backport headers.

2: The most recent driver, "nvidia-driver", does not work yet - several required libraries haven't been copied to the standard distribution at this time. I have to use the older "nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver" package

3: The documentation in https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers is wrong in instructing the reader to use backports in several places when the "standard" distribution is involved.

4: The "xorg.conf" file generated by "nvidia-config" maybe be imperfect and even necessary, but it seems to works OK.

I rat holed a few times, but the experience was valuable and I learned a few things on the way.

milomak

#23 Post by milomak »

looking at the nvidia site, this card should not be using the legacy drivers but the main driver

you have should enable stretch-backport, remove all nvidia packages and install from fresh
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Post by sunrat »

jlarysz wrote:1: I have a "standard" most-recent Debian distribution for Windows.
Is this a WSL install from Windows Store? It's not a "standard" Debian installation in that case. Very important information you should have mentioned in your first post. AFAIK it's designed to run a command line interface, not a graphical one so Nvidia drivers would not be needed or supported.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

jibberjabber

#25 Post by jibberjabber »

I am confused, so is this a MS windows based on Debian system, or a Debian system based on MS windows ? :mrgreen: