Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Even yet a Nvidia driver install problem

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Eazy

Even yet a Nvidia driver install problem

#1 Post by Eazy »

Hi!

I'm trying to install the Nvidia driver on Debian Buster (unofficial non-free) but I fail.
I have a GTX 1060 and i installed the "nvidia-driver" package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install nvidia-driver

(I installed "nvidia-detect" to confirm i installed the correct package.)
I rebooted and meet a black console.
I tried to start with "startx" and was able to start X. I went to Nvidia-settings and it complained I had to run nvidia-xconfig. I did that and rebooted... but again a black console. Tried startx again but then I got some error message, and no go on starting X.
I'm using KDE if that matters.

This should just work...

I recently successfully installed the Nvidia driver at the exact same way on KDE-Neon.
Is Debian making installing Nvidia drivers difficult on purpose for some reason?

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Even yet a Nvidia driver install problem

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Eazy wrote:This should just work...
No, it shouldn't.

This is Debian and non-free software is not supported.

If you want to run a blobby driver then please consult the Debian wiki, there is a page that tells you exactly what you have to do.

See also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
deadbang

Eazy

#3 Post by Eazy »

I did consult the Wiki, but I could not find one for Buster. "blobby drivers" is your opinion. I have always used them and they work fine.
When I say just work, i have been using Debian for 15 years and I never had these problems until recently. I tried to install the driver on my wifes laptop and we had to give up and install Linux Mint.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Eazy wrote:I did consult the Wiki, but I could not find one for Buster.
Then why did you not try the guide for stable? It should also work.
Eazy wrote:"blobby drivers" is your opinion.
By "blobby" I meant that NVIDIA will not show us the source code.
Eazy wrote:I have always used them and they work fine.
Go back and check the wiki, if your OP lists everything that you tried then you missed an important step.
deadbang

davidvt

#5 Post by davidvt »

i do this and it works every time......

type su : to go root type :

nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

add this text :

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

root install this software :
apt install gcc
apt install make
apt install headers-amd64*

donwload the driver pack form NVIDIA.

run it , click yes on all.
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.77.run

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

davidvt wrote:i do this and it works every time......
And I take it you enjoy doing this every time the kernel is updated?

Did you know that the Debian NVIDIA packages will handle that automagically?

See also https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... ll_scripts
Don't use GPU manufacturer install scripts

Debian includes Free open source drivers that support most video cards. The Free drivers provide the best integration with the rest of the Debian system and work quite well for most users.

If you absolutely must have the proprietary closed source drivers, do not download them directly from the manufacturer's website!. Installing drivers this way only works for the current kernel, and after the next kernel update your video drivers will not work until they are manually reinstalled again.

Fortunately there is a Debian way to install proprietary video card drivers using packages in the repository. Installing the drivers the Debian way will make sure that the drivers continue to work after kernel updates.
deadbang

davidvt

#7 Post by davidvt »

@ Head_on_a_Stick = Yes i do like it ! the driver packet debian has ive never used it....
somtimes it's not working if u use boinc software i need to cruch boinc data.....

Eazy

#8 Post by Eazy »

type su : to go root type :

nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

add this text :

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off

root install this software :
apt install gcc
apt install make
apt install headers-amd64*

donwload the driver pack form NVIDIA.

run it , click yes on all.
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.77.run
Thanx!
I will try this as a last resort. I have been installing Nvidia driver this way some years ago when I needed the latest driver that Debian did not have.

Eazy

#9 Post by Eazy »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
And I take it you enjoy doing this every time the kernel is updated?

Did you know that the Debian NVIDIA packages will handle that automagically?

See also https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... ll_scripts
Don't use GPU manufacturer install scripts

Debian includes Free open source drivers that support most video cards. The Free drivers provide the best integration with the rest of the Debian system and work quite well for most users.

If you absolutely must have the proprietary closed source drivers, do not download them directly from the manufacturer's website!. Installing drivers this way only works for the current kernel, and after the next kernel update your video drivers will not work until they are manually reinstalled again.

Fortunately there is a Debian way to install proprietary video card drivers using packages in the repository. Installing the drivers the Debian way will make sure that the drivers continue to work after kernel updates.
The Debian way is broken. So if i want Nvidias closed driver, this is what I might have to do

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

FFS d00d, all you have to do is copy&paste a five line configuration file from the wiki page.

Xorg will not load the NVIDIA driver automatically so you have to force it.
deadbang

Eazy

#11 Post by Eazy »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:FFS d00d, all you have to do is copy&paste a five line configuration file from the wiki page.

Xorg will not load the NVIDIA driver automatically so you have to force it.
What five line configuration are you referring too? If you mean lines in xorg.conf, I already done that.

bw123

#12 Post by bw123 »

You used "blobby" nvidia on debian for 15 yrs without a problem? some kind of wiz, wut?

If the blobby driver "just works" then what is the problem? You realize the pkg are not from debian right? There is no way for debian maintainer to alter or make the pkg work, it's provided from nvidia as a binary, that is why debian puts it in non-free.. The task is yours to alter whatever debian installation you have to make it work. Because Nvidia wants it that way, not debian maintainers.
...I recently successfully installed the Nvidia driver at the exact same way on KDE-Neon.
I did not realize kde-neon was a standalone linux distro, do you have a link wher I can get it? Everything I find on search says it's only for ubutnut, and I don't swing that way. If you can run the latest kde-neon why are you worrying about debian anyway?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Eazy wrote:If you mean lines in xorg.conf, I already done that.
The nvidia-xconfig script is a piece of crap and probably messed it up, copy&paste the example from the wiki instead, *many* users have had success with that guide.

If it still doesn't work then post a link to your Xorg log.
deadbang

davidvt

#14 Post by davidvt »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Eazy wrote:If you mean lines in xorg.conf, I already done that.
The nvidia-xconfig script is a piece of crap and probably messed it up, copy&paste the example from the wiki instead, *many* users have had success with that guide.

If it still doesn't work then post a link to your Xorg log.
yes i try the guide, it works fine nothing else to add it works, only not test it on buster, a'm on stable Stretch, only have nvidia 1030, can play wow smooth, cruch add night boinc data, not on the gpu lol on the cpu that is, Head_on_a_Stick wish u a nice sunday !!
i install the driver by hand because it was easy, now the guide works i going to use it !!
"" nvidia-xconfig script is a piece of crap and probably messed it up "" never had problems with it but ok maybe sometimes it goes wrong, using 10years debian ive allway's found a way to fix thing's.

Eazy

#15 Post by Eazy »

bw123 and Head_on_a_Stick, you are really insulting. I come here for help and you act defensive for some reason. What gives you the right to act so unfriendly? Do we know each other? Help me if you know how to install the drivers or don't answer at all. I hope you don't feel the need to represent the Debian community by acting like you do.

davidvt

#16 Post by davidvt »

Eazy wrote:bw123 and Head_on_a_Stick, you are really insulting. I come here for help and you act defensive for some reason. What gives you the right to act so unfriendly? Do we know each other? Help me if you know how to install the drivers or don't answer at all. I hope you don't feel the need to represent the Debian community by acting like you do.
stil no luck ?

u are on buster version right ?

do u use the RT = real time kernel or the normal one ?

if u are on RT , for as much i know there are no good source headers for this kernel, i had no luck to get nvidia pack to install on this kind of kernel...

if try to install the nvidia pack form the nvidia website don't forget to close your x.org driver with the root command "" init 3 "" and the try to install sh NVIDIA-470.10.run after this reboot.

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Eazy wrote:Head_on_a_Stick, you are really insulting
That's not a bug, it's a feature! :mrgreen:

And anyway bw123 was perfectly polite, please get over yourself.
deadbang

Eazy

#18 Post by Eazy »

davidvt wrote:
Eazy wrote:bw123 and Head_on_a_Stick, you are really insulting. I come here for help and you act defensive for some reason. What gives you the right to act so unfriendly? Do we know each other? Help me if you know how to install the drivers or don't answer at all. I hope you don't feel the need to represent the Debian community by acting like you do.
stil no luck ?

u are on buster version right ?

do u use the RT = real time kernel or the normal one ?

if u are on RT , for as much i know there are no good source headers for this kernel, i had no luck to get nvidia pack to install on this kind of kernel...

if try to install the nvidia pack form the nvidia website don't forget to close your x.org driver with the root command "" init 3 "" and the try to install sh NVIDIA-470.10.run after this reboot.
I'm on my Debian Jessie now, so i don't know what kernel I use. Its the kernel that comes with the installation of Debian Buster.

For some reason unknown I got it to work now. One thing i did was run "sudo update-glx --config glx" if that have something to so with it. The Debian install I installing the nvidia-driver on is just a test install to see what works and behave. I will install Debian again on my primary disk and then I will see if i can get it working.

From up to Debian Jessie I never had these problems. It has just been working. Usual way I installed them have been to install the nvidia-driver (nvidia-glx) then run nvidia-xconfig and that is that. Dunno what have changed.

Eazy

#19 Post by Eazy »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Eazy wrote:Head_on_a_Stick, you are really insulting
That's not a bug, it's a feature! :mrgreen:

And anyway bw123 was perfectly polite, please get over yourself.
If you don't know what a nice behavior is, I cant help you.
I will not discuss this any further.

piper

#20 Post by piper »

Eazy

Come to the official irc site (oftc) for debian at #debian-next or visit https://forum.siduction.org/index.php

I will help you install the blob for you, both places will help with non-free