Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem with Buster + Nvidia

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Thomas123

Problem with Buster + Nvidia

#1 Post by Thomas123 »

Hello folks,

I did a fresh install of Buster and since the nouveau-driver causes many problems I wanted to install the non-free Nvidia-driver.

I followed the steps in the wiki.
I have: NVIDIA Corporation C68 [GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a]

And nvidia-detect tells me, that I need driver version 304.xxx but that it is only supported till Debian Stretch.

What can I do?

milomak

Re: Problem with Buster + Nvidia

#2 Post by milomak »

# apt-cache policy nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver

Code: Select all

nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 304.137-5
  Version table:
     304.137-5 500
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian sid/non-free amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.is.co.za/debian sid/non-free amd64 Packages
        500 http://debian.saix.net sid/non-free amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/non-free amd64 Packages
     304.137-5~deb9u1 500
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian stable/non-free amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.is.co.za/debian stable/non-free amd64 Packages
        500 http://debian.saix.net stable/non-free amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable/non-free amd64 Packages
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

Thomas123

#3 Post by Thomas123 »

Thank you milomak,

so I changed in /etc/apt/sources.list to the sid repositories instead of the buster one's.

Then I tried the suggested steps from the wiki:

First:

apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's/[^-]*-[^-]*-//') nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver
That didn't work but suggested the installation of nvidia-settings-legacy-304xx.
So I did:

apt install nvidia-settings-legacy-304xx
This ran through smoothly.

So I tried again:

apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's/[^-]*-[^-]*-//') nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver
It replied the linux-headers-amd64 were already the newest.
But the nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver depedended on: xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx. ... So it tried to install the latter but that didn't work and instead it told me to install nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver. So this was a circle.

So I just tried and installed and ran nvidia-xconfig and rebooted.
Now it doesn't boot to the desktop anymore and stops with a console.

Do you have some advice?

milomak

#4 Post by milomak »

i would have gone with the stable repo myself and the below should pick up the necessary required files

apt install nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx nvidia-legacy-304xx-alternative
i will assume you have done the necessary to disable nouveau
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Thomas123 wrote:And nvidia-detect tells me, that I need driver version 304.xxx but that it is only supported till Debian Stretch.
I see it listed in Sid. Maybe just a matter of time before it hits Buster.
What can I do?
Get a new graphics card? :wink: That one must be over 10 years old. I gave away my 7600GT years ago and replaced with a GTX560 Ti which has been replaced with a GTX970 over 2 years ago.
You'll probably find even the cheapest GTX1030 will work way better.
Testing never guarantees any package will be available at any particular time but it may arrive later. In the meantime you could try doing a full system backup and install it from another release, maybe Stretch as suggested above or Sid if you're brave. Personally I would try the Sid one as it would match the rest of the system more closely, but only after a full backup in case it hoses the system completely.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sunrat wrote:I would try the Sid one as it would match the rest of the system more closely
+1

This link explains how to pin sid to make it behave like backports when running testing:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... le_literal
deadbang

Thomas123

#7 Post by Thomas123 »

Hey guys, thank you for your help so far!
milomak wrote:i would have gone with the stable repo myself
Unfortunately I need Qt-Version 5.11. ... that is the only reason for me going for buster or sid.
milomak wrote:i will assume you have done the necessary to disable nouveau
Well I installed and ran nvidia-xconfig and rebooted. That should have done the trick, shouldn't it? And since it doesn't boot into the desktop any more ...

I tried your command by chrooting into the system, but it replied xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx depends on xorg-video-abi which is not installable and on xserver-xorg-core (< 2:1.19.99) but 2:1.20.3-1 is scheduled for installation:

root@Rechner:/# apt install nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx nvidia-legacy-304xx-alternative
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
nvidia-legacy-304xx-alternative ist schon die neueste Version (304.137-5).
nvidia-legacy-304xx-alternative wurde als manuell installiert festgelegt.
nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms ist schon die neueste Version (304.137-5).
nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms wurde als manuell installiert festgelegt.
Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx : Hängt ab von: xorg-video-abi-23 oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-20 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-19 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-18 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-15 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-14 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-13 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-12 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-11 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-10 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-8 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-6.0 ist aber nicht installierbar
                                          Hängt ab von: xserver-xorg-core (< 2:1.19.99) aber 2:1.20.3-1 soll installiert werden
E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.
sunrat wrote:Get a new graphics card? :wink:
Unfortunately this is not an option at the moment because of space issues in the way the motherboard is installed.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: This link explains how to pin sid to make it behave like backports when running testing
Thank you, but my plan was to just temporarily change the /etc/apt/sources.list to sid and change it back after the nvidia-driver is installed. That should also work, shouldn't it?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

As this is a new install you have nothing to lose by installing a full Sid system. Personally I think Sid is a safer option than testing. (sunrat ducks flying rocks from testing aficionados) I recommend siduction which is Sid with an optimised kernel and a few custom utilities - https://forum.siduction.org/ (ducks more rocks from Debian purists)
You can run it live with CD or USB drive from the installation image.
Same caveats apply as testing - be careful with upgrades and cancel if it proposes lots of removals. There is an Upgrade Warnings section in their forum which is very useful. It's in German too. :wink:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Thomas123

#9 Post by Thomas123 »

sunrat wrote:Personally I think Sid is a safer option than testing.
Sunrat, you know, I am not very experienced in this stuff.
Actually I only wanted Debian Stetch. It's just because of a stupid Qt-bug, that I need to go to Buster. And soon Buster will become Stable, so that's what I am aiming for.
I am very afraid, that I won't be able to handle the challenges associated with Sid.

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thomas123 wrote:my plan was to just temporarily change the /etc/apt/sources.list to sid and change it back after the nvidia-driver is installed. That should also work, shouldn't it?
Yes, just check very carefully exactly what the package manager wants to pull from sid before accepting the installation.
deadbang

Thomas123

#11 Post by Thomas123 »

Hey milomak,

do you have a further advice for me?
milomak wrote:i will assume you have done the necessary to disable nouveau
I installed and ran nvidia-xconfig and rebooted. That should have done the trick, shouldn't it? And since it doesn't boot into the desktop any more ...

I tried your command by chrooting into the system, but it replied xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx depends on xorg-video-abi which is not installable and on xserver-xorg-core (< 2:1.19.99) but 2:1.20.3-1 is scheduled for installation:

root@Rechner:/# apt install nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx nvidia-legacy-304xx-alternative
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
nvidia-legacy-304xx-alternative ist schon die neueste Version (304.137-5).
nvidia-legacy-304xx-alternative wurde als manuell installiert festgelegt.
nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms ist schon die neueste Version (304.137-5).
nvidia-legacy-304xx-kernel-dkms wurde als manuell installiert festgelegt.
Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx : Hängt ab von: xorg-video-abi-23 oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-20 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-19 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-18 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-15 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-14 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-13 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-12 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-11 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-10 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-8 ist aber nicht installierbar oder
                                                         xorg-video-abi-6.0 ist aber nicht installierbar
                                          Hängt ab von: xserver-xorg-core (< 2:1.19.99) aber 2:1.20.3-1 soll installiert werden
E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.

milomak

#12 Post by milomak »

the only thing i can think of is to download the source for xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy-304xx and rebuild it without xorg-video-abi-23 as a dependency

Thomas123

#13 Post by Thomas123 »

Thank you milomak and the other guys,

I'm afraid, this whole thing is beyond my technical abilities.

I guess, I just have to wait until the Nvidia-driver gets into the Buster-repositories.
I hope this will happen very soon.

Thanks again!

Thomas123

#14 Post by Thomas123 »

Hey guys,

now I waited impatiently for more than 7 month for the release of Buster. And checked a thousand times if Buster would appear on the package page of nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver. Here: https://packages.debian.org/de/sid/nvid ... 4xx-driver

But even today after the official release no Buster in sight.
Is there another way to find out, if Buster finally supports the nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver?

Best regards from Germany!

Wheelerof4te

#15 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I am surprised they released it without this support. I don't use NVIDIA, but I would be pretty angry if I had to use this package and it's not there in a Stable release. You can check it with ap policy to be sure:

apt policy nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver
In any case, devs could add it on the first point release.

Head_on_a_Stick

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I am surprised they released it without this support. I don't use NVIDIA, but I would be pretty angry if I had to use this package and it's not there in a Stable release.
The proprietary NVIDIA drivers are not part of the official release and cannot be included because they violate the DFSG.

Try the nouveau drivers instead. Or don't give any money to NVIDIA, they contribute *nothing* to the open source community.
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#17 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^I have to agree, NVIDIA's support for Linux or even their support in general is obviously weak and outright toxic. You can thank their monopoly in gaming for that.
But not for long.

Thomas123

#18 Post by Thomas123 »

Thank you for your answers!

Yes, never will I ever(!) buy nVidia again! You can not imagine the trouble I have gone through in the last years because of nVidia. Horrible!

The nouveau drivers unfortunately don't work with my hardware.

"apt policy" only works from within a debian install, right? Unfortunately I have none running yet.

Now, if NVIDIA drivers are not part of the official release, how can I find out when and if the non-free package will be available?

Wheelerof4te

#19 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Check after the first point release. If it doesn't show up by then, just give up on it :D

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thomas123 wrote:Now, if NVIDIA drivers are not part of the official release, how can I find out when and if the non-free package will be available?
If the package isn't in buster now then it won't ever be included.

See also https://tracker.debian.org/news/974080/ ... m-testing/

The changelog has the reason:
Changelog wrote: * The 304.xx legacy driver series has been declared as End-of-Life by
NVIDIA. No further updates fixing security issues, critical bugs, or
adding support for new Xorg or Linux releases will be issued.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /a_id/3142
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/ ... _changelog

I suppose you could try installing the version from stretch-backports, that might work. Or the version from sid if you know how to use pinning (not recommend though).
deadbang