Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Solved - Desktop selection during installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
llivv

Re: Desktop selection during installation

#41 Post by llivv »

classe wrote:
llivv wrote: It's a programming thing
and when has a programming thing ever made any sense to normal people?

Yes you get the same thing if you choose Debian desktop environment OR Gnome
If one chooses both Debian desktop environment and Gnome you get something else. It's a programming thing.

Like milomak said above it's really not the same at all
even if it appears that way to normal people. It's a programming thing!
------------------------------

Thank you for your reply.

Now I understand more about why I don't understand the option of "Debian desktop environment" .
For the option of "Debian desktop environment", I have an idea. We can remove the first option "Debian desktop environment" from the DE selection screen, and modify the second one "GNOME", like what MALsPa said above:
MALsPa wrote:The first one should be removed and the second one could be something like "GNOME (default)".
or " GNOME(Debian default).
I think it looks better for the user than the previous design.

The DE selection design is for use, not to make people think like programmers, especially for normal people. Maybe most normal people just think that the function of "Debian desktop environment" is "Dell OS". I guess that this modification is easy to achieve.

I'd love to know what you think of my idea(To remove the first one and to modify the second one).

Thanks~
End Users are a funny lot, all of us.

Take a look at the number of Architectures that Debian supports.
(Not many end users will likely ever undersand what that means.)
If one uses fingers on both hands and toes on one foot the number can be counted. If one adds unofficial Architectures someone needs more than fingers and toes to arrive at the sum.
https://wiki.debian.org/SupportedArchitectures
Now look at Arch, Mint, Ubuntu, Centos, Gentoo, Fedora Architectures supported and you will begin to get a picture starting to develop before your eyes.

If Debian were to drop all the other Architectures and only support x86 ie: i386 and x86-64 ie: amd64, the installer would be, by now, easy enough for a cave man to install Debian on those two Architectures.

Now I have to install kernel debug symbols and run modified bootups to find a regression (or whatever it turns out to be) for my old mobo in testings newest kernel. Thanks :shock:
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

classe

Re: Desktop selection during installation

#42 Post by classe »

Great!

This explanation sounds better --- "Debian desktop environment" were used by not only amd64, but also by other architectures.
It's the best answer for me!

Bw123, thank you;
Golinux, thank you;
Llivv, thank you;

I've never installaed Debian on an architectures other than amd64. I think I probably won't touch those architectures for the rest of my life. I know Debian support many architectures before I installed it. Before your replys, I never thought of the problem of multiple architectures.

Now I understand that the “programming thing” means multiple architectures and lacking of human resources, not just to print a sentence like "hello,world!". Debian for all architectures use the same installer program, so, It doesn't change as simply as just amd64.

"Debian desktop environment" bothered me for a long time, and, I was often asked to read the manual/wiki/guide... I do read, but reading documents doesn't solve my doubts. And, I think it's right for me not to understand the "Debian desktop environment" until I see the "multiple architectures".

Before bw123's reply, no one talked to me about "multiple architectures". Maybe the way my question was presented may not be clear enough.

Now I can explain "Debian desktop environment" to my friends and students. It also proved that Debian is powerful. I think I can get a good night's sleep.

Thank you all for your reply~