Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Does anyone else think that netinst iso is useless

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
emil_21

#1 Post by emil_21 »

So, i thought i will install debian on my laptop and i downloaded the netinst iso and created bootable usb. During the installation it asked me for missing non-free firmware for wifi which i didn't have, so i continued the installation without setting up internet connection, thinking i will do that after installation is finished.
After the installation was finished i downloaded the wifi firmware .deb package and installed it manually but still couldn't setup wireless internet connection. It turns out that 'network-manager' and 'wpasupplicant' packages are also not installed.
How is suppose to use netinst iso, which is suppose to install components from internet, when you can't connect debian to internet?
Last edited by emil_21 on 2018-11-26 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Does anyone else think that netinst iso is practically u

#2 Post by p.H »

This has nothing to do with netinstall. Official Debian installation images do not include any non-free material. Also, not all hardware require non free material. It is up to you to provide any required material to enable the network connection. This is clearly stated in the installation manual.
You can still use a non official netinstall image which includes non-free firmwares.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Does anyone else think that netinst iso is useless

#3 Post by None1975 »

Hello. Please check this.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

This is clearly stated in the installation manual.
Yes it is, and this is just another case of someone not bothering to read even minimal documentation before downloading a install image, and trying to install.
No.
It is useful, when used for the purpose it was intended for. Obviously if you can not or do not have a good internet connection it would not be the best choice for your installation method.

emil_21

#5 Post by emil_21 »

GarryRicketson wrote: It is useful, when used for the purpose it was intended for. Obviously if you can not or do not have a good internet connection it would not be the best choice for your installation method.
I have good internet connection but how to setup internet connection through command line when even 'network-manager' and 'wpasupplicant' packages are not included in the iso. And what if the machine on which i am installing debian can connect only wirelessly to internet?

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

emil_21 wrote: I have good internet connection but how to setup internet connection through command line when even 'network-manager' and 'wpasupplicant' packages are not included in the iso. And what if the machine on which i am installing debian can connect only wirelessly to internet?
Couple of helpful links, the wpasupplicant should be on the netinst iso? It probably wasn't installed because you didn't setup a wireless connection during install. And I'm assuming ifupdown is still on it also. network-manager should not be on it, too bloated.
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#list-image-contents
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/rele ... 4/list-cd/

I like to install offline, and usually mounting the iso on /media/cdrom will allow you to use apt to install "missing" pkgs before you have an internet connection available. The installer usually leaves the iso as a source in /etc/apt/sources.list when you install offline. This should work, until you update apt with new sources. If the netinstal iso can't be used this way, you can always use dpkg (or apt) to install the .deb files directly from the installation media or iso.

The second question about missing firmware for wifi during install is covered in the installation guide.
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ ... 02.html.en

I don't use netinst, but it makes sense to me to install once with current pkgs, instead of installing and then upgrading an entire system. It "...saves both time and bandwidth." https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#netinst

For offline install, I like to use the full CD image for xfce, but deselect everything except "standard utilities" and then use the iso as a source to fill out the system after first boot, before setting up internet. Specifically, using this method you can easily get X setup and working offline. Then setup internet and apt and install a window manager. Very little bandwidth used.
resigned by AI ChatGPT