Issues with installation brand new hp laptop..

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Issues with installation brand new hp laptop..

Postby pekimo » 2018-12-28 11:10

Okay so i just recently bought a new laptop and wanted to install debian.

1) The laptop has a 1tb HDD and 16gb optane memory... the installation wouldn't detect my internal HDD even after disabling optane memory, it wasn't in raid.

2) So i eventually gave up and decided to install it on an external HDD.. it detected it and said installation was complete... when i went to reboot it, it gives me all these errors, what do these mean and what should i do? thanks.

(I attached the image) Not sure if the image actually attached so im going to do it with imgur aswell:

https://imgur.com/a/qr0lHcj

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!
pekimo

Re: Issues with installation brand new hp laptop..

Postby p.H » 2018-12-28 11:50

The ACPI errors are usually harmless.
The PCIe bus error is unusual but seems to have been corrected, so probably harmless too.

The root filesystem error is caused by a missing /dev/sdb2 partition. It means that :
- the root parameter was set to /dev/sdb2 (device name) during the installation, while it should have been set to the partition's UUID, as partition device name are not persistent. It happens that on some installations update-grub fails to use the UUID, I don't know why. I guess that /dev/sda was the installation media ;
- the external drive is probably now detected as /dev/sda since the installation media was removed, and the root partition is /dev/sda2.

To fix it :
- at the initramfs prompt, type
Code: Select all
ls /dev/sd*

and check that the external drive is /dev/sda
- reboot
- at the GRUB menu, type "e" to edit the menu entry and change sdb2 into sda2
- presse F10 to boot

Once the system is loaded, run
update-grub

to re-create GRUB's config file /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Check that lines which begin with "linux" contain root=UUID=xxx instead of root=/dev/sdb2.

PS : to investigate the internal drive issue, you can also report the output of
lspci -nn
p.H

Postby pekimo » 2018-12-28 12:14

Oh wow thankyou so much for the detailed response... I will try now.

note: I am literally brand new to linux, i have no idea what any of this means but ill try follow what you said.
pekimo

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-28 18:52

Be aware that "brand new laptop" and "Debian release that was frozen more than two years ago" often have a lot of problems, since the hardware didn't exist in late 2016, and driver support is often lacking. This can usually be solved by installing a newer Mesa, Kernel, and firmware packages from stretch-backports.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4.19.13 kernel, wine-staging 4.0~rc4, Stellarium 0.18.3, VLC 3.0.5, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-12-29 09:26

For brand new hardware, I would recommend Arch Linux, it is very reliable[1] in my experience and the latest Xorg version is not backportable (is that a word?), unfortunately.

Arch also gets the security updates a lot quicker than backports.

[1] If updated regularly.
"French riots get results! U lot are instagram zzzombies" — graffiti over Euston underpass
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Installation