Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Issues with installation brand new hp laptop..

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
pekimo

Issues with installation brand new hp laptop..

#1 Post by pekimo »

Okay so i just recently bought a new laptop and wanted to install debian.

1) The laptop has a 1tb HDD and 16gb optane memory... the installation wouldn't detect my internal HDD even after disabling optane memory, it wasn't in raid.

2) So i eventually gave up and decided to install it on an external HDD.. it detected it and said installation was complete... when i went to reboot it, it gives me all these errors, what do these mean and what should i do? thanks.

(I attached the image) Not sure if the image actually attached so im going to do it with imgur aswell:

https://imgur.com/a/qr0lHcj

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Issues with installation brand new hp laptop..

#2 Post by p.H »

The ACPI errors are usually harmless.
The PCIe bus error is unusual but seems to have been corrected, so probably harmless too.

The root filesystem error is caused by a missing /dev/sdb2 partition. It means that :
- the root parameter was set to /dev/sdb2 (device name) during the installation, while it should have been set to the partition's UUID, as partition device name are not persistent. It happens that on some installations update-grub fails to use the UUID, I don't know why. I guess that /dev/sda was the installation media ;
- the external drive is probably now detected as /dev/sda since the installation media was removed, and the root partition is /dev/sda2.

To fix it :
- at the initramfs prompt, type

Code: Select all

ls /dev/sd*
and check that the external drive is /dev/sda
- reboot
- at the GRUB menu, type "e" to edit the menu entry and change sdb2 into sda2
- presse F10 to boot

Once the system is loaded, run

update-grub
to re-create GRUB's config file /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
Check that lines which begin with "linux" contain root=UUID=xxx instead of root=/dev/sdb2.

PS : to investigate the internal drive issue, you can also report the output of

lspci -nn

pekimo

#3 Post by pekimo »

Oh wow thankyou so much for the detailed response... I will try now.

note: I am literally brand new to linux, i have no idea what any of this means but ill try follow what you said.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Be aware that "brand new laptop" and "Debian release that was frozen more than two years ago" often have a lot of problems, since the hardware didn't exist in late 2016, and driver support is often lacking. This can usually be solved by installing a newer Mesa, Kernel, and firmware packages from stretch-backports.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

For brand new hardware, I would recommend Arch Linux, it is very reliable[1] in my experience and the latest Xorg version is not backportable (is that a word?), unfortunately.

Arch also gets the security updates a lot quicker than backports.

[1] If updated regularly.
deadbang