Raspbian - Video + Photo Screensaver?

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Raspbian - Video + Photo Screensaver?

Postby popchau » 2018-12-31 08:16

So i have a raspbian pi hooked up to a 17" lcd panel for a smart picture frame we hang on the wall, it uses xscreensaver to display images from our local NAS and has worked pretty good so far over the years. Showbox Tutuapp Vidmate

But it got me thinking, is there a way that i can display both images AND videos(mostly MP4 recorded from phone), i thought my wife would get a kick out of it if the videos (no audio) started playing in the loop as well but im struggling to find out how you would do something like that in debian. I realize Raspbian is a striped down version but figured i'd post here since most solutions should also apply.
Last edited by popchau on 2019-01-01 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
popchau

Re: Raspbian - Video + Photo Screensaver?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-12-31 09:23

"French riots get results! U lot are instagram zzzombies" — graffiti over Euston underpass
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby stevepusser » 2018-12-31 20:35

You could also use a video editor to create a video with the still images and the moving videos, then play that in a loop. This would allow you to use the Ken Burns effect and transitions for the still images.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4.19.13 kernel, wine-staging 4.0~rc4, Stellarium 0.18.3, VLC 3.0.5, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Postby pylkko » 2019-01-01 10:50

It is my understanding, however, that the video and graphics stack on that device is quite idiosyncratic. Unelss this has changed recently, as I haven't really followed the development for a while.

You can install many video players but they mostly use the CPU and are limited to low resolution videos. Then there is one hardware accelerated video player OMXPlayer which uses the OpenMAX API and the closed source VideoCore driver and firmware. But even this doesn't work from XWindows so those programs that use it (and can play 1080p video with a breeze) open an xwindow and another window (not using x) on top of it in weird workaround manner.

There has been an open source video stack in development since 2014. AFAIK it works in a sort of beta testing manner (meaning not really release ready and has missing features).

So my guess is that it maybe can be done some how but 1) you need to possibly ditch xscreensaver altogether and 2) doing it requires RPi specific knowledge unlikely to be found on this forum. I think you should address yout question to the RPi forums.
pylkko

Return to Installation