Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sarge with Large Disk

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
aj

Sarge with Large Disk

#1 Post by aj »

I am trying to install Debian Sarge (stable release), and I have a 250GB IDE hard drive, does debian require some special setting to use such a large drive? Because if i set it as 1 partition it gives "Grub Error 18" during boot, and if i split the partitions up (using the defaults for multi-user system) it gets past the grub loader but freezes up, the last few lines before it freezes are:
Starting kswapd
VFS: Disk quotas vdquot_6.5.1
devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
devfs: boot_options: 0x0

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

madonion87

#2 Post by madonion87 »

hmmm not sure what problem that is but i installed it on a western digital 250gb no problem, so might be something else

dawgie

#3 Post by dawgie »

" Grub Error 18 = cylinder Exceeds Bios"

Probably the drive works with a "drive overlay" program in another operating system.
The BIOS of your board probably dosent support that large HD.

drdebian

#4 Post by drdebian »

It usually helps to make a /boot partition (about 100 MB in size) at the beginning the harddisk to accomodate the kernel along with all the Grub/Lilo files. This way the BIOS only needs to be able to access the beginning of the disk (which usually is no problem) and the Linux bootloader will take it from there.

aj

#5 Post by aj »

i tried putting the drive in a different (newer) system, and it worked fine, so yea, it probably is the motherboard bios
thanks

madonion87

#6 Post by madonion87 »

hmmm what motherboard is yours?
i have a NF8 and for a few restarts i'm starting to get the same error as well?? :?: