Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

failed upgrade stretch -> testing/buster

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
baldyeti

failed upgrade stretch -> testing/buster

#1 Post by baldyeti »

hello i have tried upgrading my stretch install to buster, but have hit a snag.

I have done:
  • apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
  • updated my /etc/apt/sources.list to replace /strecth/buster/ so it looks as follows

Code: Select all

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian buster main
    deb http://security.debian.org/ buster/updates main
    deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main

• apt-get update then gives me the following error

Code: Select all

(appstreamcli:12420): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_builder_end: assertion '!GVSB(builder)->uniform_item_types || GVSB(builder)->prev_item_type != NULL || g_variant_type_is_definite (GVSB(builder)->type)' failed

(appstreamcli:12420): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_variant: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(appstreamcli:12420): GLib-ERROR **: g_variant_new_parsed: 11-13:invalid GVariant format string
    Trace/breakpoint trap
    E: Problem executing scripts APT::Update::Post-Invoke-Success 'if /usr/bin/test -w /var/cache/app-info -a -e /usr/bin/appstreamcli; then appstreamcli refresh-cache > /dev/null; fi'
    E: Sub-process returned an error code

This is a system that also had the NeptuneOS repository active so i am running KDE 5.12, but that is now disabled.

Can someone suggest a way forward ?

llivv

Re: failed upgrade stretch -> testing/buster

#2 Post by llivv »

baldyeti wrote:Can someone suggest a way forward ?
longbeard wrote:backup backup backup
<<<
Last edited by llivv on 2019-01-19 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

baldyeti

#3 Post by baldyeti »

I have backups. This is a partition i can easily overwrite with a copy of my "real" stretch, but where i wanted to test upgrading.

llivv

#4 Post by llivv »

practice makes perfect
unlike the present condition of the dist-upgrade

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

baldyeti wrote:This is a system that also had the NeptuneOS repository active so i am running KDE 5.12, but that is now disabled.
Disabling the repository does not remove the crap that was installed from there and that crap is what is causing you problems now, I think.
llivv wrote:<<<
+1
deadbang

baldyeti

#6 Post by baldyeti »

llivv wrote:unlike the present condition of the dist-upgrade
are you saying there are known problems with upgrading atm and suhggesting i retry a little later ?
is there another place (newsgroup, perhaps ?) where the matter is discussed ?

llivv

#7 Post by llivv »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
baldyeti wrote:This is a system that also had the NeptuneOS repository active so i am running KDE 5.12, but that is now disabled.
Disabling the repository does not remove the crap that was installed from there and that crap is what is causing you problems now, I think.
+++
You can get away (once is a while) with third party stuff during a release upgrade if you know exactly what you are doing!
Upgrade stable to testing is hard enough (A T M) that seasoned users are having issues.

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

So it really isn't "failed upgrade stretch -> testing/buster"

Is it another frankendebian problem? stretch+NeptuneOS > testing/buster?

Maybe start with $ apt policy *appstream* and look for clues. I don't reckon people here need to see it. If you don't need apstream pkg, do you think purging it would solve the problem maybe?
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
updated my /etc/apt/sources.list to replace /strecth/buster/ so it looks as follows
SOunds about bassackwards to me. At what point did you remove the third party? 1st second or fourth?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

I think apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade should only be used against a SINGLE source (yours is ok) on a system built from a SINGLE source.

Use SYNAPTIC. Your current sources.list is fine. Now navigate to "installed" in synaptic and sort the column to download size. In this listing you will see 0B an maybe 1B entries which spell out what installed packages are not in the currently loaded repository. You should also configure a custom filter for orphans. By going line by line on these entries you can see what havoc, or lack of drama, each will invoke if you remove it.

Many will remove clean, some will pull in newer packages, and then create orphans. Some will try and remove the system... WORK through it.

From there, upgrade things manually in identified groups. This will bring in the current files from the selected repository. Separate programs with DE's from system things and do them in separate steps from things like kernels, systemd, dbus, boot loaders, etc.

Prioritize packages listed in "Upgradable (Upstream)" over the listed packages in the "status" tab under "Installed (Upgradable)". Upgradeable is spelled wrong...

Once that is clean, from that list of 0B stuff you took notes on, you can now add a repository and take it forward, or download the small stuff and gdebi it in to test.

Even a single repository is sometimes out of whack for a short time. Multiple equivelant repositories can remedy this situation due to apt-intelligence...not a real thing, but true. But once you add "deb http://grandmas.debian.net/debian/ buster-universe-and-beyond" to the mix that intelligence ends.

baldyeti

#10 Post by baldyeti »

bw123 wrote:SOunds about bassackwards to me. At what point did you remove the third party? 1st second or fourth?
weeks ago - kde 5.12 works real fine and i was barely getting any more updates for it, so i removed the adhoc source

I know adding non-official sources is unsupported, which is why i l mentioned it in the 1st place.
Last edited by baldyeti on 2019-01-19 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

baldyeti

#11 Post by baldyeti »

llivv wrote:Upgrade stable to testing is hard enough (A T M) that seasoned users are having issues.
Alright, that clarifies your 1st post - hence my other question: when would be a better time and is there another (sub)forum where the current state of release upgrades is more specifically discussed ?
Last edited by baldyeti on 2019-01-19 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

baldyeti

#12 Post by baldyeti »

Thanks for all suggestions. I am in no hurry and was curious to try KDE 5.14. I will purge the system from its non-debian packages and try again but that may not be before another week or so.

llivv

#13 Post by llivv »

baldyeti wrote:hello i have tried upgrading my stretch install to buster, but have hit a snag.

I have done:
  • apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
  • [...]
  • apt-get update then gives me the following error
Can someone suggest a way forward ?
Whomever rote that code snipit you used above was just a wee bit over confident in the stability of the Debian Release,
and astoundingly over confident to advise it's use in a stable to testing dis-upgrade.

It's already way to big a chunk of upgrade with gnome or kde. And even after release this forum will get tons of issues just like yours for several weeks...

I was going to suggest your try again and maybe even a few more times to get an idea how the actual process works...
Debian Questions welcome always!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

I also have a Stretch install with KDE Plasma 5.12 from Neptune OS. It works very nicely but I would never even consider that it might be upgradeable to Buster. Neptune rebuilt pretty much the whole of Plasma to achieve Stretch compatibility, so I doubt it could work for Buster.
If you just want to check out Plasma 5.14, try a fresh Buster install (or maybe pure Stretch upgrade if you're brave) or KDE Neon or siduction.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

baldyeti

#15 Post by baldyeti »

Hello, after i purged the system of all neptuneOS packages, i managed to upgrade to buster, then installed kde-plasma-desktop. It wasn't all smooth sailing and i had to resort to "aptitude -f" and remove va-driver-all. Apt (and apt-get) do not complain anymore at all but for some reason aptitude keeps wanting to install "mesa-va-drivers" which fails because of some conflict with vdpau-va-driver... Oh well.This is a test install anyway.

llivv

#16 Post by llivv »

a lot of times you can work around issues like that using a different install order.
above probably sounds like jibberish to anyone who hasn't done it...
ie:
# uninstall vdpau-va-driver (if you think that is offending packages)
# install mesa-va-drivers or mesa-vdpau-drivers or mesa-vulkan-drivers (depending on what you have) than see if you can now?
# install vdpau-va-driver

of course if the output of
$ aptitude search '~c'
shows too many packages or important packages that is another issue that can screw with trying to install stuff.