Debian Stretch is not assembling mdadm array after boot

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Debian Stretch is not assembling mdadm array after boot

Postby cutthr0at » 2019-01-26 12:44

I've just installed Debian Stretch, and i can't get it to work.

I have software ( or fake) raid0 array. Durring installation, or when i chroot mdadm assembles array without any problems and works perfect.

When im trying to boot im getting error:
mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: no such file or dir

mdadm.conf is generated with correct UUIDs

mdadm, raid0, raid1 etc modules are added to initramfs but i cant assemble it when im dropped to (initramfs) shell.

mdadm --assemble --scan its not doing anything ( /cat/mdsat is not showing anything and only drives in /dev/ are sda and sdb)

I've tryied Fedora 29 and Arch and everything works fine only Debian based distros ( Mint and Ubuntu) are having this problem.
cutthr0at

Re: Debian Stretch is not assembling mdadm array after boot

Postby bw123 » 2019-01-27 17:47

Did you websearch for "mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: no such file or dir" and try some of those solutions?
bw123

Postby cutthr0at » 2019-01-28 16:35

Yes, i did and nothing worked, I've spend good few days reinstalling, changing settings and reading tons of documentation about initramf, mdadm, grub and all other stuff. I've tried different debian based distros, Ubuntu, Debian 9.5, 9.7, Linux mint and on all of them its exactly the same problem and none of the solutions found on google worked for me. It work fine on Fedora ( which im using now), Arch but not on Debian.
cutthr0at

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-01-28 16:48

I can't help directly because I've never tried that fancy RAID stuff but if you can do it manually from Arch then you could try installing Debian manually as well:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... 03.html.en

^ That method is roughly the same as an Arch Linux installation.

It won't produce the exact same system as the installer does but I've used it many times with good results.
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Installation