Reinstallation Procedure

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Reinstallation Procedure

Postby HughKelley » 2019-02-05 21:19

I've semi-successfully installed debian stretch once.

It basically works, but I haven't been able to set up network access and
Code: Select all
sudo
and
Code: Select all
ifconfig
aren't available.

After working through some older posts and stuff per this previous post I've realized that my issue with getting set up is that i used the non-firmware version of debian.

It sounds like I could fix that without reinstalling the whole thing, but it seems easier to just start over and do it correctly with what I now know.

Q1, is that a crazy strategy?

Q2 if not, does the procedure below for reinstallation make sense?

Q3 which partitions listed below should I delete? I think I know which ones are windows and which are linux but not positive. I thought that I started with 3 windows partitions but that would mean that there are only 2 linux partitions and my understanding was that there should be 3, root, swap, and home.

Procedure:
1 Delete linux partition from windows disk management utility
2 reinstall from USB as done previous using different iso that includes firmware this time.
3 finally connect to internet and arrive at open source promised land.

Partition info from Windows disk management
Volume------------------File System-------------Status
Disk 0 partition 2 --------------------------------Healthy (EFI System Partition)
Disk 0 partition 5---------------------------------Healthy (Primary Partition)
Disk 0 partition 6---------------------------------Healthy (Primary Partition)
OS(C:)---------------------NTFS-------------------Healthy(Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
Recovery------------------NTFS-------------------Healthy (OEM Partition)

Thanks very much in advance for any help. :!:
HughKelley

Re: Reinstallation Procedure

Postby arochester » 2019-02-05 21:28

1) By default Debian does not use sudo. It can be added if you want. See e.g. https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2016/1 ... n-stretch/ Scroll down to Grant Sudo Access (Optional). DO NOT follow all the instructions on this site if you are not sure what you are doing --- you could end up with more problems.

2) ifconfig was deprecated some time ago. Look at e.g. https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... bian-linux
arochester

Postby HughKelley » 2019-02-05 21:34

ah very helpful on both fronts.

I did see that I could enable sudo by editing a file somewhere.

But yeah, not super comfortable with what I'm doing so working hard to not get outside of the basic installation procedure...
HughKelley

Postby sickpig » 2019-02-06 02:13

HughKelley wrote:ah very helpful on both fronts.

I did see that I could enable sudo by editing a file somewhere.

But yeah, not super comfortable with what I'm doing so working hard to not get outside of the basic installation procedure...

gksu will let u run commands as root without needing sudo, for instance if i need to run pcmanfm as a root I type gksu pcmanfm. gksu is available for installation from synaptic
sickpig

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-02-06 07:08

pkexec should be preferred over gksu

Some configuration may be required though, see /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.gparted.policy (or /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.gnome.gparted.policy in buster) for an example (if gparted is installed).
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt." — Bertrand Russell
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Installation