Acer C720 still looking for Chrome OS

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Acer C720 still looking for Chrome OS

Postby OriginalMattyJay » 2019-02-08 17:27

I got an Acer C720 and wanted to run Debian instead of messing with Chrome OS. Google's forums got me to be able to download Debian, and I went through the download process. After I assume I went through the install process, it said it was going to restart and I should remove the flashdrive I booted from. After the reboot, it popped up saying it couldn't find Chrome OS.

Technical Info:
+ I got Debian from UNetbootin (Stable_NetInstall version)
+ The laptop is giving an 0x5b error "No botable kernel found on disk" from the recovery mode screen
+ I opted to make a single partition for everything (no separate partition for /home) using the guided option
+ It is an Acer C720-2844, 4gb ram, 16gb ssd, intel CPU

Before loading Debian this screen could get you to dev mode and a Chrome OS terminal, but now neither work. I'm assuming Debian is on the computer and I just need to get past the recovery mode screen to access it, but I'm not sure how.

There are lots of tutorials on how to get back to Chrome OS, but I haven't been able to find anything that gets you from here to Linux.

Thanks in advanced!
OriginalMattyJay

Re: Acer C720 still looking for Chrome OS

Postby bw123 » 2019-02-08 17:57

unetbootin has been known to cause a lot of weird problems and waste people's time. If it was me I'd go here https://www.debian.org/distrib/ and get an image, write it using the correct procedure in the installation guide https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual, then try rescue mode in the installer. It's all in the guide.

p.s. release notes also https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes
bw123

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-02-08 18:18

True about Unetbootin, it does not work with Debian, most of the time, all though some people will argue that it does, I avoid it.
Do NOT use unetbootin for Debian CD images
And then :
Google's forums got me to be able to download Debian, and I went through the download process

It would be more clear, if the OP gave some details on this, there are various versions of Debian, and the images, are different, exactly which install image did you down load, ?
Hopefully it was from the official debian.org site, anything else really is questionable, and might not really be Debian at all,
I got Debian from UNetbootin (Stable_NetInstall version)
:?: :?: :?:
GarryRicketson

Postby OriginalMattyJay » 2019-02-08 18:27

bw123 wrote:unetbootin has been known to cause a lot of weird problems and waste people's time.

That's unfortunate, I saw probably 3 or so different sites recomending it before trying it.

GarryRicketson wrote: It would be more clear, if the OP gave some details on this, there are various versions of Debian, and the images, are different, exactly which install image did you down load, ?
Hopefully it was from the official debian.org site, anything else really is questionable, and might not really be Debian at all,
I got Debian from UNetbootin (Stable_NetInstall version)
:?: :?: :?:

This is the first time I've worked with Debian and I assumed it meant it pulled the latest stable release, but it definitely looks like I was wrong.

I'm going to completely replace Debian with Chrome OS, and start fresh and install as recommended by bw123.
OriginalMattyJay

Postby GarryRicketson » 2019-02-09 00:37

I saw probably 3 or so different sites recomending it before trying it.

I know, there are a bunch of them, sadly the search engines pull in many results that are just plain corrupted data, false data, and myths.
Normally I am one of the biggest promoters of "search first", before one asks, but I am seriously starting to think, it really is not good to rely only on the corrupted data in search results, but better to get 2nd opinions, and ask about the results one reads, before trying any of them. Sorry to drift off topic, I may start a new topic on this later, if I have time.
GarryRicketson

Return to Installation