install debian 9.7.0 not booting

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Re: install debian 9.7.0 not booting

Postby richjoh » 2020-02-09 05:02

So I was able to solve this issue by removing the HD with the Windows OS, then install Debian on the second HD. When first booting up, I entered into BIOS and select the drive new installed Debian HD. I successfully booted up Debian then I shut down.

I put the Windows OS HD back in my labptop then booted to either disk using the F7 key (shows boot menu).

I don't know if Grub just fails to write the the chosen HD during the install or a hardware feature prevents installing Grub on the HD when an OS (MS Windows) exist.

I cannot get my BIOS menu to display 2 or more boot drives. The menus settings only show 1 disk with the other disk option showing (BBS Boot is disabled) <--I think that's the wording off the top of my head. This BIOS on my laptop is circa 2011-2013 where most hardware was just transitioning to UEFI.
richjoh

Postby p.H » 2020-02-09 12:10

richjoh wrote:I extracted debian-10.2.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso to a USB drive

"Extracted" ? There is no need to extract anything from a Debian ISO hybrid installation image to prepare an installation USB drive. Just write the raw image to the raw USB drive with dd or cp.

richjoh wrote:installed Debian to my second HD, 128Gigs. The problem with Debian not booting up persist. During the install Grub was written to the drive and not to the First HD which (Windows OS) is installed.

Did you check that GRUB was actually present in the MBR of the drive with bootinfoscript or simply with the following command ?
Code: Select all
hd -n 512 /dev/sdX

richjoh wrote:I don't know if Grub just fails to write the the chosen HD during the install or a hardware feature prevents installing Grub on the HD when an OS (MS Windows) exist.

Unlikely.
p.H

Postby richjoh » 2020-02-10 05:08

Any ideas on to why removing the 1st HD I was able to boot the Debian HD after the installation of Debian?

OK, I use the wrong terminology you don't like extracted... write the image to a usb, not that important.

No I did not check that GRUB was actually written. In this thread I posted the boot disk information, I recall someone responding that GRUB was never in the text information. Therefore to me, Grub was never written to the 2nd HD which prevented boot up of Debian. Removing the 1st HD then installing I can boot up.
richjoh

Previous

Return to Installation