Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Boot problem in VM

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
roadd

[solved] Boot problem in VM

#1 Post by roadd »

Hello! How are you?

I have some issues with virtualization. I never use this pc before.

I'd try to install Debian, Kali and Ubuntu but i have the same problem every time. If i install the distribution soi have this problem with "end trace" at the end:

If i try to run it like live, so now i have this problem "Fixing recursive fault".

I googled it a lot but i dont get with the answer.
Last edited by roadd on 2019-04-03 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

Re: Boot problem in VM

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Unread postby roadd » 2019-03-31 10:55
Hello! How are you?

I have some issues with virtualization. I never use this pc before.
I am fine, but don't you think it might be relevant, some details on the PC ?
What kind of hardware please.
What program for the virtualization ?
What version of Debian ?
I'd try to install Debian, Kali and Ubuntu but i have the same problem every time. If i install the distribution soi have this problem with "end trace" at the end:
Just Debian , please, if you have problems with Kali and Ubuntu, please use the approriate forums for those.

My guess is your VM is not setup properly, but who knows, with zero use full details.

roadd

#3 Post by roadd »

Im sorry!

Im using VirtualBox. The pc has ryzen 5 2200g, SSD, HD, 16gb RAM. The last version of Debian (9.6 maybe?) and its for 32 bits, i download it from the webpage a day before. The kernel version its 4.9.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Does the 64-bit version of Debian work?

What is the host operating system?

Don't use VirtualBox, it is shite.
deadbang

pcalvert

#5 Post by pcalvert »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Don't use VirtualBox, it is shite.
It works fine for me. I don't use any of the versions in the Debian repositories, though, in case that makes a difference.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pcalvert wrote:It works fine for me.
I think you mean that you can't detect the bugs.

If the VirtualBox developers find any bugs then they try to hide their existence and seldom bother actually fixing them.

It's also worth noting that the BIOS is proprietary, as are the extensions that provide the most useful features.
pcalvert wrote:I don't use any of the versions in the Debian repositories
Yeah, there aren't any versions in the stable repositories because the Debian developers also think that VirtualBox is shite.

QEMU/KVM outperforms VirtualBox, offers several GUIs for CLI-phobic users and is also completely free (as in speech).

@OP: sorry for the diversion.
deadbang

roadd

#7 Post by roadd »

Ok, hi guys. Im even more lost than before.

I can run a 64bit Debian without any problem. Wtf? Whats going on?

btw, virtualbox or qemu was the same here.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

So why do you even want to run a 32 bit version ?
Also, you did not answer:
Post by Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-04-01 00:11
----snip---
Whats going on?
Show us, we can not be there in person to see what is going on.

Show us some real details, like what command you are starting QEMU with, and telling us what the host system is. Additionally, details on the configurations you are using.
The screen shots are not of any use. Real details, error messages, in text, etc.
EXAMPLE ONLY
This is a example:, I use QEMU, My host system is OpenBsd. The guest system is Debian 7, 32 bit. And I get this error:

Code: Select all

garry% start-debian
qemu-system-i386: -localtime: warning: This option is deprecated, use '-rtc base=localtime' instead. 
#Comment, for me this error is not any matter, it still boots just fine and runs, but for a example , so the OP get's the idea.
Below, is the out-put of :

uname -a
Linux debian 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.93-1 i686 GNU/Linux
From the Debian 7 guest,
This is the command I use to start the VM:

ulimit -d 3000000
qemu-system-i386 -localtime -net user -net nic -m 1000 -drive format=raw,file=debian.img
Hope fully that gives the general idea, show us what is going on, and maybe someone can see what is wrong.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Some Intel CPUs don't include the virtualization extensions, which means you can't run a 64-bit guest on a 64-bit host Vbox. But you have the opposite problem. Are you setting up the 32-bit VMs as 32-bit Debian?

But the main problem is that we don't have enough information from you to diagnose the cause.
MX Linux packager and developer

roadd

#10 Post by roadd »

ok, so i can run 64bit Debian Live but i cant install it.

GarryRicketson wrote:
So why do you even want to run a 32 bit version ?
Also, you did not answer:
Post by Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-04-01 00:11
----snip---
Whats going on?
Show us, we can not be there in person to see what is going on.

Show us some real details, like what command you are starting QEMU with, and telling us what the host system is. Additionally, details on the configurations you are using.
The screen shots are not of any use. Real details, error messages, in text, etc.
EXAMPLE ONLY
This is a example:, I use QEMU, My host system is OpenBsd. The guest system is Debian 7, 32 bit. And I get this error:

garry% start-debian
qemu-system-i386: -localtime: warning: This option is deprecated, use '-rtc base=localtime' instead. 
#Comment, for me this error is not any matter, it still boots just fine and runs, but for a example , so the OP get's the idea.
Below, is the out-put of :

uname -a
Linux debian 3.2.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.2.93-1 i686 GNU/Linux
From the Debian 7 guest,
This is the command I use to start the VM:

ulimit -d 3000000
qemu-system-i386 -localtime -net user -net nic -m 1000 -drive format=raw,file=debian.img
Hope fully that gives the general idea, show us what is going on, and maybe someone can see what is wrong.
I need a 32 bit OS because its for educative reasons. Not every student has a 64bit processor. My host system is a Win10 64 bits

This is what i did in qemu:

qemu create -f qcow2 debian.img 10G
qemu-system-x86_64.exe -hda debian.img -cdrom [path for debian64.iso] -m 2G -boot menu=on -rtc base=localtime, clock=host -parallel none -serial none -no-acpi  -no-hpet -no-reboot
i installed in 1 partition, with grub.

this is what start a live 64bit debian system in VirtualBox but installing get me to a end trace, also for 64bit system

all of the times i get 3 diferent errors: 2 are the first errors. 1 its just freeze machine in black.

stevepusser wrote:Some Intel CPUs don't include the virtualization extensions, which means you can't run a 64-bit guest on a 64-bit host Vbox. But you have the opposite problem. Are you setting up the 32-bit VMs as 32-bit Debian?

But the main problem is that we don't have enough information from you to diagnose the cause.
i have a ryzen 5 2200g. I'd read that has a previous bug, but not now (i assume).

roadd

#11 Post by roadd »

ok, so with qemu i almost run 32 bit. It just terminal and very VERY slow.

The winner? vmWare. No problems. Everything was just fine.

Thank you everybody for your time and help.