Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel Panic when using Kernel 2.6 on Dell laptop

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
hqking

Kernel Panic when using Kernel 2.6 on Dell laptop

#1 Post by hqking »

I'm running debian sid with kernel 2.4 on my Dell Latitude D510, while my wireless card Inter PRO/wireless 2200BG requires kernel 2.6. so I updated my kernel to 2.6 but find an error when reboot.
/sbin/init: 432 cannot open dev/console: No such file
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init.
and than system stopped.

I have compiled a custom kernel 2.6 and It works but with many problems including a critical one that I can't compile any module. e.g. compiling wireless module, it appears:
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.12.3/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver MODVERDIR=/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/hqking/linux-2.6.12.3'
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver/ipw2200.o
(ps: error occurs)
/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver/ipw2200.c: In function ‘ipw_rx’:
/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver/net/ieee80211.h:659: sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to ‘is_multicast_ether_addr’: function body not available
/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver/ipw2200.c:6320: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver/net/ieee80211.h:659: sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to ‘is_multicast_ether_addr’: function body not available
/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver/ipw2200.c:6333: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
make[2]: *** [/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver/ipw2200.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/ipw2200/driver] Error 2
make: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hqking/linux-2.6.12.3'
I have already installed kernel headers and source in /usr/src. It seems that compiler couldn't find this path, it goes into /home/hqking/linux-2.6.12.3 which stores source code I downloaded

stoft

Tried vanilla?

#2 Post by stoft »

This just might go against your wish to have things compiled, but have you tried installing using apt-get? I'm running a sarge kernel (2.6.11) with ipw2200 installed on my Toshiba laptop without too much difficulty. It may not be compiled but at least it works.

This is basically what I did:
$ apt-get install kernel-imageX
and
$ m-a -i ipw2200
I'm not sure if that second one is correct, you may have to apt-get ipw2200-source and/or use the module-assistant interface. This should give you a working kernel with the ipw2200 module. After that you'll at least know that the environment works and you can start compiling on your own again.

As far as I remember upgrading 2.4 -> 2.6 entails a bit more than 2.6.x -> 2.6.y so read up a bit more on it before you try it.
Cars - for the environmentally challenged.

hqking

#3 Post by hqking »

Thank you for you advice, stoft

yes, I have tried official kernel first, but it didn't work, telling me something below when booting
/sbin/init: 432 cannot open dev/console: No such file
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init.
and than, my laptop was totally locked, I can only cut the power supply.

I'll try module-assistant later.