Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

impossible to use TTY1 in Buster

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
aNewDebianUser

impossible to use TTY1 in Buster

#1 Post by aNewDebianUser »

Hello,
I have an issue with Debian Buster which is not present in Debian Stretch on the same hardware.
When I try to use Ctrl + Alt + F1 to use TTY1 the screen "get glitches / flickers with red, green pixels" making him unusable and it kill my session on TTY7 so I loose evrything.
In log files, it seems (but I can be wrong) associated to those errors :

Code: Select all

[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe B FIFO underrun
[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun 
blueman-mechanism: Exiting 
at-spi-bus-launcher[1147]: XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
at-spi-bus-launcher[1147]:       after 47 requests (47 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
pulseaudio[1470]: XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Ressource temporairement non disponible) on X server ":0"
pulseaudio[1470]:       after 19 requests (19 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
systemd[1]: session-5.scope: Killing process 1539 (lightdm) with signal SIGTERM.
one precision : I lost my session only when I try to go back on TTY7
And all other process sigterm like this first one.
When I just start the computer and I am not logged already in TTY7 I can go to TTY1 normally, without the strange multi-color glitches.
Any idea why it act like this on Buster but not on Stretch ?

golinux

Re: impossible to use TTY1 in Buster

#2 Post by golinux »

Maybe wayland and more systemd wontfixes?
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

golinux wrote:Maybe wayland
Unlikely, the OP is clearly using X.

@OP: please post the output of this command after you experience the problem:

journalctl -u getty@tty1
How did you install buster?

What is your graphics hardware and which drivers are you using?
deadbang

aNewDebianUser

#4 Post by aNewDebianUser »

Buster is installed from "Debian GNU/Linux buster-DI-alpha3 _Buster_ - Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Binary-1 20180612" and then updated directly from buster repository.
It is an optimus laptop :
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 (rev 04)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev ff)
I am using non free nvidia driver from buster repository + bumblebee + non free firmware.
( I do try to reproduce the same setup than my Stretch system, currently running correctly, but with buster version of the packages. )

Result of the command journalctl -u getty@tty1 :
-- Logs begin at Tue 2019-05-28 23:52:02 CEST, end at Wed 2019-05-29 00:21:18 CEST. --
mai 28 23:52:03 ***** systemd[1]: Started Getty on tty1.

I do have some more information : I am not currently using the screen of my laptop but an "external" screen. I did some random test directly with the screen of the laptop, it is at least better :
- The glitch doesn't always appear. When it does, instead of a glitch on all the screen, the multi-color glitch is located at the top left of the screen. In both case, I can use TTY1.
- I do not loose my TTY7 session when I come back with Ctrl+Alt+F7
So the problem seem (at least a bit) related to handling external screen.

dotlj

#5 Post by dotlj »

I found that installing Buster (or Stretch) using GPT means that the external monitor is detected and works, using HDMI connection.
When Buster or Stretch was installed using MBR, the external monitor was not detected when using HDMI connection.
That will depend on your video device. If you did install Buster using GPT and still have problems, check the correct detection of the video and search for getting it to work on Buster. You may need to add something to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
in /etc/default/grub

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

aNewDebianUser wrote:I am using non free nvidia driver from buster repository + bumblebee + non free firmware.
Which firmware packages have you installed?

Do you still experience this problem with the nouveau drivers?
deadbang

aNewDebianUser

#7 Post by aNewDebianUser »

@dotlj : good to know.
Sadly, in my case, I am using MBR on both my systems.
I am also using the same GRUB CMDLINE on both system :
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=\"Windows 2009\""

However, I did find some information about this, related to grub option +

[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe B FIFO underrun
[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun
It seems to be about CPU C-State.
I will give a try to add :
- enable_rc6=0, (disable all power saving options, if I understand well => however it seems not working anymore in new kernels)
- intel_idle.max_cstate=1 (where 1 could be eventualy replace with 0 a greater value )

@Head_on_a_Stick :
firmware : both those buster's packages from buster depot => firmware-linux-free + firmware-linux-nonfree
=> so for instance, in the kernel.log

i915 0000:00:02.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin
[drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (v1.4)
( On Stretch, I am not using firmware-linux-nonfree but I did installed kbl_dmc_ver1_01.bin manually.
=> Could it be a bug in the v1.4 which was not in the v1.1 ? )

using nouveau driver : I didn't try with nouveau, but since I am not using nouveau on Stretch either without the issue,
but I keep in mind to give it a try if other options leads to nothing

dotlj

#8 Post by dotlj »

I have the same Nvidia GM107M and use

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="modprobe.blacklist=nouveau quiet"
in /etc/default/grub. You might try editing GRUB when starting to manually test if changing this helps or not.

aNewDebianUser

#9 Post by aNewDebianUser »

@dotlj : I did tried it. And I also tried

nouveau.modeset=0
enable_rc6=0 (=> this option make my bug appear also when I try to go out of sleep mode !!!)
intel_idle.max_cstate=1
intel_idle.max_cstate=0
but without success.

I also have an issue to go out of sleep mode :

Relevant or not, even when not plug to my screen (= when I do not have the issue):
I cannot switch back to the integrated GPU via "tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<OFF"
and that is even if i do "rmmod nvidia_modeset" + "sudo rmmod nvidia"

debi-volti

#10 Post by debi-volti »

I have the same behavior (loosing TTY7 graphic session upon switching to TTY2 etc) with a Dell Precision M6400 with Firepro M7740 graphics after updating Stretch and (!) after a Buster fresh install (net installer) with KDE Desktop.

((Additionally I don't get a GUI after boot, but after login and startx, but that might be a different story, see my own thread in this forum...))
kind regards

volti