Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Network: Problems with Atheros QCA9377 (ath10k)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
zebdeb

Network: Problems with Atheros QCA9377 (ath10k)

#1 Post by zebdeb »

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, but I've been a user of Debian for a long time.

Just bought a new laptop, which is an ASUS E203NAS. But unfortunately I get problems with the installation because the Debian installer (Debian Testing Netinstall) does not have the firmware for my Wifi card.
The following firmware files are missing according to the installer:
ath10k/pre-cal-pci-0000:01:00.0.bin
ath10k/cal-pci-0000:01:00.0.bin
ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-6.bin
ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin
ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-4.bin
ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-3.bin
ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-2.bin

I have searched everywhere for these files, have also read many forum posts. And almost everyone mentions the GitHub page github.com/kvalo/. But I can only find the files firmware-5.bin and firmware.6.bin. I've also tried to transfer the entire content from the page to a USB stick, but unfortunately it doesn't work.

So, is there someone who knows where to find the files that are missing?

Thanks in advance!

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Network: Problems with Atheros QCA9377 (ath10k)

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

The error message is wrong, if you're using the unofficial non-free ISO image then it will connect if you continue with the installation.
deadbang

zebdeb

#3 Post by zebdeb »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The error message is wrong, if you're using the unofficial non-free ISO image then it will connect if you continue with the installation.
I downloaded the non-free version via this link https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... etinst.iso

But I get the same error message with same missing files.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yeah, I had the same card and saw the same message but the installer managed to connect with no problem. I was going to report it as a bug but it's the unofficial image and heathens like us deserve everything we get.

EDIT: replace the card, it's a piece of crap and will burn out quickly.
deadbang

zebdeb

#5 Post by zebdeb »

Thought to give some feedback if someone else were to encounter the problem.

I have not solved the problem because I have not been able to install Debian, but the following distros work without any problems:
OpenSuse Tumbleweed
Kubuntu 19.04
Solus 4.0 Plasma Testing

I have not tested more distros than these, so there are certainly more that work.

But what they have in common, and which differs from Debian Testing, is that they use a newer version of the kernel. So my guess is that the WIFI card in my computer requires a newer kernel. And since Debian Sid doesn't have an ISO file, I can't (without much effort) test the theory , so this is just a speculation. I was going to test Siduction but I saw that their ISO was last updated in May last year.

Should anyone have a solution, please feel free to provide it.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

zebdeb wrote:my guess is that the WIFI card in my computer requires a newer kernel
No, I had the card working with the stock Debian buster kernel.

Did you try to continue with the installation after the error message, as I suggested? It worked for me.
deadbang

zebdeb

#7 Post by zebdeb »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zebdeb wrote:my guess is that the WIFI card in my computer requires a newer kernel
No, I had the card working with the stock Debian buster kernel.

Did you try to continue with the installation after the error message, as I suggested? It worked for me.
I continued but stopped just before the partition section. I thought it would be pointless to continue as no information about the selection of the SSID came up. And I have no Ethernet port on my computer, just WIFI.
But you can be right, I should have continued even further.
I will try the next time I reinstall the operating system.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

You can try a Live session of MX 18.3, which is based on Stretch, but has a 4.19 kernel like buster plus the same firmware packages, to see if it works in that Live session. If so, it should work in Buster with the same firmware. If not, it could be the wi-fi is soft or hard-blocked and you'll have to try rfkill to check that status and try and lift the block.
MX Linux packager and developer

Deb-fan

#9 Post by Deb-fan »

Pointless gripe but doesn't seem right to complain when someone tells you they have the same component, firsthand experience with it and likely an effective solution to your problem and you don't even try it. Yeah that's one of Debian's long standing principles a commitment to open source software and effort to exclude using proprietary software. Though they make it easy enough for all of us to use if we choose to at the same time. Also though if it weren't for all the time/talent/effort by Debian there wouldn't be a Kubuntu or buntu anything. Just my 2 cents, I trust the people behind Debian, their abilities, intentions and integrity far more than I ever could/would any commercial interest like Canonical Inc(Ubuntu.)

So it may take a tad more effort getting things setup but view it as totally worth the effort to be able to run Debian. Compared to all the folks behind Debian have poured into developing and maintaining all this awesome open source and gnu/Nixy goodness(for DECADES now). Any effort required on my part is a tiny drop in the bucket.

Also once you've identified the appropriate drivers/package(s) needed for your wifi and if supported in live session a tip is, someone can use another distro's iso (ie: Kubuntu)and chroot a Debian install, then install whatever packages you need to get wifi working like that. Ironically I had to do this several times using a Bunsenlabs gnu/Linux (100% Debian stable based distro)iso that supported my Broadcom wireless to fix some Linux Mint(Ubuntu wouldn't have supported it either.)installs I was playing with wireless.

Also newer kernel's are readily available in backports or easily can be pulled in from elsewhere, like unstable software branch of Debian with apt-pinning, Liquorix kernel or etc.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

zebdeb

#10 Post by zebdeb »

Deb-fan wrote:Pointless gripe but doesn't seem right to complain when someone tells you they have the same component, firsthand experience with it and likely an effective solution to your problem and you don't even try it. Yeah that's one of Debian's long standing principles a commitment to open source software and effort to exclude using proprietary software. Though they make it easy enough for all of us to use if we choose to at the same time. Also though if it weren't for all the time/talent/effort by Debian there wouldn't be a Kubuntu or buntu anything. Just my 2 cents, I trust the people behind Debian, their abilities, intentions and integrity far more than I ever could/would any commercial interest like Canonical Inc(Ubuntu.)

So it may take a tad more effort getting things setup but view it as totally worth the effort to be able to run Debian. Compared to all the folks behind Debian have poured into developing and maintaining all this awesome open source and gnu/Nixy goodness(for DECADES now). Any effort required on my part is a tiny drop in the bucket.

Also once you've identified the appropriate drivers/package(s) needed for your wifi and if supported in live session a tip is, someone can use another distro's iso (ie: Kubuntu)and chroot a Debian install, then install whatever packages you need to get wifi working like that. Ironically I had to do this several times using a Bunsenlabs gnu/Linux (100% Debian stable based distro)iso that supported my Broadcom wireless to fix some Linux Mint(Ubuntu wouldn't have supported it either.)installs I was playing with wireless.

Also newer kernel's are readily available in backports or easily can be pulled in from elsewhere, like unstable software branch of Debian with apt-pinning, Liquorix kernel or etc.

970/5000
I haven't complained about anything, I'm just a person who asked for help.
I explained why I stopped, and I also admitted that I should have continued according to the recommendation. But the reality is that I tried to solve this problem for three days before turning to this forum. I thought I only needed the files the installer asked for, that it would be that simple. But in all this, I also needed a working computer, so now I have solved it. Not with Debian, but with Linux. But don't get me wrong. I have been using Debian for years and I love it. Even that I've tested several different distros, I always thought that Debian is the best choice for me. And just as I wrote earlier, I will probably try Debian again when I have the time and opportunity to do it on the computer in question.
I apologize if you interpreted me as disrespectful, it was not my intention.

zebdeb

#11 Post by zebdeb »

stevepusser wrote:You can try a Live session of MX 18.3, which is based on Stretch, but has a 4.19 kernel like buster plus the same firmware packages, to see if it works in that Live session. If so, it should work in Buster with the same firmware. If not, it could be the wi-fi is soft or hard-blocked and you'll have to try rfkill to check that status and try and lift the block.
I tried a live session of MX according to your recommendation, and everything works as it should. So possibly Debian Installer blocks my WIFI card as you say.
But removing such a block in an Installer is beyond my knowledge.

Deb-fan

#12 Post by Deb-fan »

Ah apologize too. Should've kept my piehole shut any way. Have been in the wireless connection only boat and it's frustrating. Though kept at it until finding a bunch of ways to get an offline system working. Even if had to download packages to a friggin phone, transfer and install.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *