Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrading to buster after using backports

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
drkayak99

Upgrading to buster after using backports

#1 Post by drkayak99 »

When installing Debian 9 on a machine with a newer Intel processor (Intel Core i7-8700K), I needed to use backports to (re)install 'linux-image-amd64' and obtain an updated kernel (4.19.0-0.bpo.5-amd64), in order to get the proper resolution. Now I am planning to upgrade in place to Debian 10, which I know supports this processor, and am wondering how to proceed without creating a mess. (I created a Frankendebian once and would rather not repeat the experience.)

I assume I should remove the backports repository information, i.e., delete '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/stretch-backports.list'. Do I then need to reinstall 'linux-image-amd64' to obtain the old (Debian 9) version of the kernel before upgrading to Debian 10, or can I just proceed to the upgrade after removing the backports repository?

Thanks in advance
-Paul

PhilGil

Re: Upgrading to buster after using backports

#2 Post by PhilGil »

Backports packages are versioned so that they will upgrade to the new stable version. So any packages from Stretch backports can be left in place when upgrading to Buster.

That being said, it it were me I would be sure that I had a backup kernel installed just in case, as you never know what can happen during an upgrade.