Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Debian 10 Installation issues grub-install failed

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
markjacob

[SOLVED]Debian 10 Installation issues grub-install failed

#1 Post by markjacob »

Hi, I had Linux mint 19.1 last week, but it became too heavy so I tried to switch to some other lightweight but good looking distro. A user on reddit told me to use Debian because its most stable in all linux distros plus its the grand father to them all.

I am trying to install Debian 10 for 3 days in a row, but unable to install.
but first of all answer this question
"Does debian installs with secure boot mode on?? because there is no way I can disable secure boot mode or change UEFI to Legacy, my bios is locked. Please dont divert this conversation to "unlock bios" or "disable secure boot mode" I had tried it too many times and failed. so If the answer of above question is "NO" then I think I cannot run debian
BUT see following steps I have done
1) I already have 2 other OSes, Windows and PrimeOS,(prime os also use grub2 and this is the reason I am still able to boot in windows)
2) I am using debian10_amd64_gnome live USB(created through rufus)
3) tried to install using sda2, sda8 and sda9 for /boot/efi /(root) and /swap respectively. but it failed on "configuring bootmgr"
4) tried to install using sda2, sda8 and sda9 for /boot /(root) and /swap respectively. but it failed on "configuring bootmgr"(same error)
4) tried to install using sda8, sda9 and sda11 for /boot/efi /(root) and /swap respectively. but it failed on "configuring bootmgr"(same error)
5) tried to install using sda2, sda8, sda9 for /boot ,/root and /swap respectively. but it installed but before installation it said "/boot/efi partition is not selected" maybe because I selected "/boot" instead of "/boot/efi"

Since it installed in step 5, so It should run, but I was not able to run it because GRUB was not configured
since then I am following 10 to 15 different links from stackexchange, askubuntu, linuxmint forum , arch linux forum, manjaro forum to install/reinstall/reconfigure grub2. following is the summary what i did for that

1) - mounted sda8 and sda2 (on /mnt and /mnt/boot/efi)
- tried updtae grub
- then grub-install -v --efi-directory=/boot/efi --target=xxx (and different ways to use grub-install)
- all are ending up at "cannot set EFI variable Boot003"

2) - mounted root and boot
- tried grub-install --target=x86_64-efi (without providing directory)
- failed at "cannot find EFI directory"

I am so tired up doing all these stuff. if anyone can help me please tell me what to do. or atleast tell me what will be the alternative(more than 1 so I can switch between them) to debian(gnome)??

Note: I have used different distros on my machine ( linux mint, react os, primeOS, ubuntu, fedora, opensuse, korora, elementary, deepin )
Last edited by markjacob on 2019-07-29 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

ruwolf

Re: Debian 10 Installation issues Grub installation failed

#2 Post by ruwolf »

markjacob wrote:following is the summary what i did for that

1) - mounted sda8 and sda2 (on /mnt and /mnt/boot/efi)
- tried updtae grub
- then grub-install -v --efi-directory=/boot/efi --target=xxx (and different ways to use grub-install)
- all are ending up at "cannot set EFI variable Boot003"
I think, that when you mount sda2 on /mnt/boot/efi, you should use

Code: Select all

grub-install -v --efi-directory=/mnt/boot/efi --target=xxx

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

markjacob wrote:Does debian installs with secure boot mode on?
Yes:

Code: Select all

E485:~$ cat /etc/debian_version                                                           
E485:~$ mokutil --sb-state                
SecureBoot enabled
E485:~$ bootctl | grep Secure             
systemd-boot not installed in ESP.
  Secure Boot: enabled
E485:~$
Make sure that the installer is booted in UEFI mode, switch to a console screen and check for /sys/firmware/efi to confirm this.
deadbang

markjacob

#4 Post by markjacob »

Hi I finally managed to install debian 10. I had to install ubuntu which showed same error during installation so I used "boot-repair" for ubuntu.. I ran ubuntu for 2 days then tried agiain to install debian. it installed without errors but still was not booting up. instead throwing error "cannet se EFI variable" and grub screen appeared. So I created Ubuntu live usb and tried to "boot-repair" again (since it is ubuntu's package and was not installing on debian) but it didnot worked. so I mounted EFI partitiion and deleted all entries except microsoft(windows bootloader), android(prime OS grub bootloader), and Debian. and finally I managed to boot into debian. it still shows error "cannot set EFI variable" just some milliseconds before debian's grub boot menu.