Installing Debian 10 on a system with Debian 8.

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Installing Debian 10 on a system with Debian 8.

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-08-14 12:47

Hello,
My system using Debian 8 and I want to install Debian 10 on it. I have two questions:
1- Can I upgrade Debian 8 to Debian 10 directly?
2- "Home" is on a separate partition, If I want to do a fresh install then the "Home" partition need to format or I can use my current Desktop on new Debian?

Thanks.
hack3rcon
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 2015-02-16 09:54

Re: Installing Debian 10 on a system with Debian 8.

Postby Ardouos » 2019-08-14 12:53

hack3rcon wrote:1- Can I upgrade Debian 8 to Debian 10 directly?


No you have to upgrade to 9 first, then 10. Read the release notes to ensure the upgrades go smoothly.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... ng.en.html
then
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... ng.en.html

hack3rcon wrote:2- "Home" is on a separate partition, If I want to do a fresh install then the "Home" partition need to format or I can use my current Desktop on new Debian?

You can keep your home partition, any issues with config files in /home can be backed up and deleted in the unlikely case that there are any issues.
User avatar
Ardouos
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: 2013-11-03 00:30
Location: Elicoor II

Re: Installing Debian 10 on a system with Debian 8.

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-08-15 21:22

Ardouos wrote:
hack3rcon wrote:1- Can I upgrade Debian 8 to Debian 10 directly?


No you have to upgrade to 9 first, then 10. Read the release notes to ensure the upgrades go smoothly.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... ng.en.html
then
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/ ... ng.en.html

hack3rcon wrote:2- "Home" is on a separate partition, If I want to do a fresh install then the "Home" partition need to format or I can use my current Desktop on new Debian?

You can keep your home partition, any issues with config files in /home can be backed up and deleted in the unlikely case that there are any issues.

Thank you.
I will install Debian 10 and post here if I had any issues.
hack3rcon
 
Posts: 298
Joined: 2015-02-16 09:54


Return to Installation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

fashionable