Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dedicate a partition for the whole system or separate it?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
djk44883

Re: Dedicate a partition for the whole system or separate it

#21 Post by djk44883 »

NFT5 wrote:There are some downsides to doing that with symbolic links.

It's much cleaner to create a folder in /home (e.g. DATA) and then use fstab to mount your data drive/partition to that folder. If /home is on a separate partition to / then it doesn't have to be very big.
I could just mount a single folder in /home which is on yet another partition then /, that's an option. I was keeping the system all on 1, keeping /home intact for upgrade/re-installation, or at least mounting /home for this... either way size is irreverent to mount point.
NFT5 wrote: If you multi-boot then you can do the same with each OS. That keeps your /home clean with config files only for the OS that it's tied to while your date files are commonly accessible from whichever OS you happen to be using at the time.
If I multi-boot, and want to see my pic no matter witch system I'm in? Or listen to music... regardless of booted system?

djk44883

#22 Post by djk44883 »

p.H wrote:
wizard10000 wrote:kill the swap partition, add a swapfile
Do think twice before doing that. Linux was designed to use raw block devices as swap space, and still is. Using swapfiles with Linux is a hack. A dirty one. It does not work natively on filesystems types which do not allow to map files to physical blocks, use copy-on-write, and so on ; making it work natively on some of them (NFS, Btrfs) has required heavy intrusive kernel patching. The only clean way to use a swap file would be through a loop device, which incurs a performance penalty.
Linux was designed when memory was expensive and systems had little. Unless you hibernate, you don't really need large swap space if you have like 4, 8 or GB of RAM... for a home personal use?

Debian's Wili does have a section for a swap file https://wiki.debian.org/Swap but never mention it's a hack.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by p.H »

But it says a dedicated swap partition is recommended. There must be a reason.

I recommend the reading of the mkswap and swapon man pages. To summarize, swap files are a violation of the filesystem layer.

Ever seen how you tell the kernel about a swap file to use for resume from hibernation ? You don't pass the swap file path, no, no. You pass the partition containing the file and the offset between the first block of the partition and the first block of the swap file. Doesn't this look enough like a hack for you ?

djk44883

#24 Post by djk44883 »

p.H wrote:But it says a dedicated swap partition is recommended. There must be a reason.

I recommend the reading of the mkswap and swapon man pages. To summarize, swap files are a violation of the filesystem layer.

Ever seen how you tell the kernel about a swap file to use for resume from hibernation ? You don't pass the swap file path, no, no. You pass the partition containing the file and the offset between the first block of the partition and the first block of the swap file. Doesn't this look enough like a hack for you ?
I did comment, unless you need hibernation... Then yea, I'd go for a large partition as well. If I have gigs of ram, not hibernating, there's not much need for swapping, but some reason to have a minimal amount. One of the great things about linux systems, it's not a one-size-fits-all.