Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help, can't boot my install (UEFI), but other distros OK

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
BurntOC

Help, can't boot my install (UEFI), but other distros OK

#1 Post by BurntOC »

I have a HP T620 client and I'm trying to run Debian on it as a host for my Docker containers. I've tried installing Debian 10 with both the netinstall image and the full DVD-1, in graphical and text mode both, but while it installs fine when it reboots the hard disk isn't seen as bootable. I tell the installed to partition using the entire drive each time as well.

I cavedl and tried Linux Mint and even MX Linux and they both install and then boot in UEFI mode just fine. With the latter being Debian-based and so many folks that have to have conquered this I thought I'd see what recommendations you have to fix this as I have Debian flavors on many of my hosts (RasPis mainly) and I like it a lot.

Thanks in advance for any help!

phenest

Re: Help, can't boot my install (UEFI), but other distros OK

#2 Post by phenest »

To boot an OS (Linux, Windows, etc), you require an Efi System Partition (ESP) of at least 100MB to boot using UEFI. Without that partition, you would booting using legacy BIOS if the computer supports it.

It's possible that Linux Mint and MX will automatically create the ESP (as will Windows), but I don't think Debian will unless you specify it.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

BurntOC

#3 Post by BurntOC »

I appreciate the response. I could have sworn I saw that on the petitions list, but I'll check that here shortly when I get back home.

BurntOC

#4 Post by BurntOC »

Yes, it puts an ESP partition in, but it's still not booting. Looks like MX Lined may be the closest I can get to Debian for now.

tynman

#5 Post by tynman »

It's hard to diagnose booting problems because the patient can't post what they're seeing on the screen.

Could you elaborate what you mean by
when it reboots the hard disk isn't seen as bootable
? I.e., could you try to explain what you see on the monitor when you reboot? When you boot the computer, do you get a grub boot manager screen? Just a blinking cursor?

BurntOC

#6 Post by BurntOC »

That's fair - sorry about that. It just simply proceeds as if the system has no bootable disks at all and goes straight to trying to boot from my NIC.

I did redo the process again using the expert options and choosing the additiional EFI install location, which seems to have resolved it, though now I'm having all sorts of other headaches including grub having the previous MX Linux and failed Debian installs in the boot list. Clearly even when I tell it to repartition and use the entire position it's storing some of the parameters somewhere.....

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

BurntOC wrote:grub having the previous MX Linux and failed Debian installs in the boot list
Could you post the relevant menuentry statements in /boot/grub/grub.cfg ?

BurntOC

#8 Post by BurntOC »

Thanks for your assistance. Looks like I have it operating, and while it was more involved than I wanted I added a lightweight desktop and grub-configurator to remove those entries. I also fixed the initial headaches, by and large, so I'm good to go. Thanks again!

Wm. A. Weasel

#9 Post by Wm. A. Weasel »

This is an older thread, but it might help someone to know that Parkytowers
https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t620/linux.shtml
describes an easy solution that worked for me.