Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Another no graphics after Debian 10 installation problem

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
tagal4

Another no graphics after Debian 10 installation problem

#1 Post by tagal4 »

I'm having the same problem as WeFella below with no graphics when booting after a new Debian 10 install. This is on my Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop that was running Xubuntu just fine. Are you sure there isn't a bug going on here? In the meantime I'm going to see if I can get Xubuntu to work so I can use this computer again. Hopefully this gets sorted out and I can install Debian on it someday.

Dai_trying

Re: Another no graphics after Debian 10 installation problem

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

Did you try this workaround? I have to use it on my Dell Inspiron 3552 to avoid blank screen after installation.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

tagal4

#4 Post by tagal4 »

I tried to do the first suggestion mentioned and the commands I typed weren't recognized. I didn't understand how to do the final suggestion that was linked to: I didn't know what "Debian Boot Menu" that set of instructions was referring to.

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

Debian boot menu in those instruction refers to the grub menu, although it is difficult to offer more assistance with vague comments like "the commands I typed weren't recognized. " it would be better to post here the exact command you used and the exact response you received.

I could guess that you maybe don't have sudo installed in which case you would need to make yourself root first (su -) and then use the commands from those instructions without "sudo".

Another guess could be that you are not using Xfce as I was for those instructions and therefore you might need to stop (and later start) a different unit.

If you could let us know which desktop version (Gnome, Xfce, Lxde, Plasma or other) you are using it might be a start...

tagal4

#6 Post by tagal4 »

Yes, I don't have sudo. I usually set sudo up after I have my newly installed operating system up and running. Even though I didn't have sudo shouldn't it have denied me permission when I typed the commands given in the link listed earlier and NOT given me the "command not recognized" message if the command I typed was in fact recognized?

I believe I was supposed to get Mate desktop with the iso I downloaded because that's what I prefer, but it could have been xfce - I can't remember which.

I'm going to go to my local library (which supposedly offers help with computer issues) to see if they can shed some light on this problem.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Does your Dell laptop have both Intel and Nvidia graphics? If so, Dells often require you to blacklist the nouveau driver with a parameter in GRUB at first boot, though later on you can add it to a blacklist file so it's permanent, or just remove the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

Read this re "command not found" - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142973
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!