Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dual Booting Debian with win10

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
debianer98

Dual Booting Debian with win10

#1 Post by debianer98 »

Hi!
I need a little help. I installed Debian 10 to my HP laptop. It was fine working except that I needed the Windows to boot first, so I went on, and made some modifications after tutorials, but it didn't work, what's more, my Windows disappeared from the Grub menu, so I'm not able to log into it. Can someone help me bringing back my Windows boot-option? Thanks in advance! :D

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Dual Booting Debian with win10

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debianer98 wrote:I went on, and made some modifications after tutorials, but it didn't work, what's more, my Windows disappeared from the Grub menu, so I'm not able to log into it.
Which modifications did you make, exactly? Try running update-grub (as root) to regenerate the configuration file.
deadbang

debianer98

#3 Post by debianer98 »

The thing is that I can't remember, and I don't have the browser history for the tutorials (I have never tried dual-booting systems, so I might misunderstood something very badly), and after updating grub I get the same results as before.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

If I had to throw a guess at this I would say you might have changed the system from UEFI to Legacy (or the other way round) as you cannot find the Windows OS from debian, If this sounds familiar you could try changing back to the other one and you will likely boot only into Windows, but at that point it would be possible to use a Live-cd to access the Debian installation and from there you could install the correct grub version which should fix your problem. But only if my guess is correct of course. :)

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

You might try this quick, inelegant "method":

Code: Select all

# apt remove --purge grub-common grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2-common os-prober
Followed by

# apt install grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2-common os-prober
And the Windows entry should come back.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

milomak

#6 Post by milomak »

debianer98 wrote:The thing is that I can't remember, and I don't have the browser history for the tutorials (I have never tried dual-booting systems, so I might misunderstood something very badly), and after updating grub I get the same results as before.
did you use the terminal?

if so post the output of history here
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid