Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installed Debian 10 but fan doesn't work

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
luiznetto

Installed Debian 10 but fan doesn't work

#1 Post by luiznetto »

Acer 5315-2122. Installed Debian 10 (Buster) 4 days ago. Fan sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't. Worked all day yesterday, but today it doesn't want to work. When I run Knoppix 8.1 on the same machine, like I'm doing now, it works perfectly, and Knoppix is based on Debian - same kernel. I installed fancontrol and lm-sensors two days ago, and the fan worked, but make too much noise, so I uninstalled lm-sensors. It worked fine all day, excellent temperature management. But today I booted, and noted the fan doesn't work. I re-installed lm-sensors back, but regardless the fan refuses to work when I boot into Debian 10. The old script that I used for my old Debian doesn't seem to work any more. Maybe it can be changed in a way that it will work with the new system?

Anybody can help me please? I deeply appreciate it.
Best regards.
Last edited by luiznetto on 2019-10-06 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Installed Debian 10 but fan doesn't work

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe the fan isn't running when the system is cool enough not to need it. We don't know, since you didn't tell us the temperatures.

You can also try adding a newer kernel from debian-backports to see if the problem is just restricted to the stock kernel.
MX Linux packager and developer

luiznetto

Re: Installed Debian 10 but fan doesn't work

#3 Post by luiznetto »

The temperature that shows is 40 degrees Celsius. Since it keeps showing the same value for a long time, I suspect it is wrong, but I don't know for sure.

When I install fancontrol, should I install it after or before I install lm-sensors?