Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install hangs on "Starting PC card services..."

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
gramschmidt

Install hangs on "Starting PC card services..."

#1 Post by gramschmidt »

Hello everyone. I'm trying to install Debian on a Dell Inspiron 8100 (brand new hard drive) and it gets to the "Detecting hardware to find CD-ROM drives" section just fine but hangs at 92%, when it says it's "Starting PC card services..."

Is this a BIOS issue? Knoppix won't run, either.

Any and all help is appreciated.

#2 Post by Guest »

Put that installer CD back in the computer tray and try again. When you get to the opening splash screen, do F1-F9 to look at the options, one of which is to disable pcmcia services. You can configure and activate pcmcia later, after you have completed the installation and your new Debian OS is up and running. Also, I suggest that you use expert26 mode for the installation.

gramschmidt

#3 Post by gramschmidt »

Ah, thank you. I have novice written all over me. :)

That got me far enough to suspect that I really DO have a hardware problem. The base system can't be installed because the CD-ROM can't be recognized (even though it got this far with the same disc). I've had problems with this drive in the past, so if this doesn't sound like a familiar problem to anyone, I'll go dreg up an old drive and try again...