Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10.1 installerwon't detect my Solid State Drive (SSD)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
fguy

Debian 10.1 installerwon't detect my Solid State Drive (SSD)

#1 Post by fguy »

Greetings.

Dell Inspiron 5584 Laptop
PC SN520 NVMe WDC 256GB Solid State Drive. Manufactured by Western Digital, Support by Sandisk

I am trying to install Debian 10.1 from a bootable USB stick created from the file debian-live-10.1.0-amd64-mate+nonfree.iso - The checksum was verified.

The problem is that the installer will not detect my SSD. It detects only ny USB stick.
Windows works just fine.

This is what I have tried...

- Updated my laptop's BIOS to the latest version
- Determined that my SSD firmware is up to date.
- In the BIOS|SATA Operation, changed "RAID On" to AHCI. after this, Windows wouldn't start and it wouldn't boot from the USB, so I changed it back.
- Disabled Secure boot.

Any suggestions?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian 10.1 installerwon't detect my Solid State Drive (

#2 Post by sunrat »

If RAID mode is the problem, and it may be, there are simple ways to make Windows 10 work with AHCI. It's been a while since I did it but IIRC you can either create or change a single registry entry (before changing it in Bios/UEFI setup), or just reboot in Safe Mode and theoretically it should pick up the change and configure it. I haven't used that second method though, just read about it.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

fguy

Re: Debian 10.1 installerwon't detect my Solid State Drive (

#3 Post by fguy »

I managed to solve the problem in Ubuntu. I imagine the same solution would work for Debian.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2429616