Select and Install software failed

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Select and Install software failed

Postby edmonds » 2019-10-21 16:19

I'm trying to install amd64 10.1.0 in a vmware environment using the Net install ISO. It runs successfully through all the steps till:
big red screen: The failing step is: select and install software. Do I start to diagnose?
I get as far as:
Select Mirror <United States>
Debian archive mirror: <deb.debian.org>
scanning mirror
retrieving files (shows several coming down)
Then big red screen of no-love.
edmonds

Re: Select and Install software failed

Postby edmonds » 2019-10-21 17:47

interestingly enough, Ubuntu installs flawlessly on the same VM. Just mounted the ubuntu install ISO and it installed. Clearly, there's a problem with Debian.
edmonds

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-10-21 18:32

edmonds wrote:big red screen: The failing step is: select and install software. Do I start to diagnose?

Use <alt>+F4 (or <ctrl>+<alt>+F4 from the graphical installer) to see the actual error messages.

If Ubuntu works then try the unofficial Debian ISO image that includes non-free firmware, vmware support may be in violation of Debian's guidelines.
Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby cuckooflew » 2019-10-21 18:45

The failing step is: select and install software

Just before that, there should have been a question/option, asking if you want to partcipate in :
"the popularity-contest " package. https://popcon.debian.org/
All though it is supposed to be optional, on several occasions, if I selected no, then the the " select and install software " fails, and when I selected "yes", the installation proceeds with no problem, so just out of curiosity, did you say yes or no on the "the popularity-contest " question ? If you said no, try again, and select yes, ... and see if it makes a difference.
cuckooflew

Return to Installation