Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Select and Install software failed

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
edmonds

Select and Install software failed

#1 Post by edmonds »

I'm trying to install amd64 10.1.0 in a vmware environment using the Net install ISO. It runs successfully through all the steps till:
big red screen: The failing step is: select and install software. Do I start to diagnose?
I get as far as:
Select Mirror <United States>
Debian archive mirror: <deb.debian.org>
scanning mirror
retrieving files (shows several coming down)
Then big red screen of no-love.

edmonds

Re: Select and Install software failed

#2 Post by edmonds »

interestingly enough, Ubuntu installs flawlessly on the same VM. Just mounted the ubuntu install ISO and it installed. Clearly, there's a problem with Debian.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

edmonds wrote:big red screen: The failing step is: select and install software. Do I start to diagnose?
Use <alt>+F4 (or <ctrl>+<alt>+F4 from the graphical installer) to see the actual error messages.

If Ubuntu works then try the unofficial Debian ISO image that includes non-free firmware, vmware support may be in violation of Debian's guidelines.
deadbang

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

The failing step is: select and install software
Just before that, there should have been a question/option, asking if you want to partcipate in :
"the popularity-contest " package. https://popcon.debian.org/
All though it is supposed to be optional, on several occasions, if I selected no, then the the " select and install software " fails, and when I selected "yes", the installation proceeds with no problem, so just out of curiosity, did you say yes or no on the "the popularity-contest " question ? If you said no, try again, and select yes, ... and see if it makes a difference.