Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian with kernel 5.2

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Abormot

Debian with kernel 5.2

#1 Post by Abormot »

When Debian will roll-our release with kernel 5.2? I need it - my Dell XPS 2 in 1 7390 with Icelake does not boot with 4.19 kernel. So for more than month my new laptop just dusting. I don't want to swithc to Arch or Ubuntu. These distros are on kernel 5.3 already. So when?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian with kernel 5.2

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Never.
That's not how Debian works.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Deb-fan

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

Couple thoughts about it. Basically see a couple approaches which could make it possible though would require hands on, do for yourself.

Modify the di(Debian installer), add the kernel you need to it and go from there. Did it with a Crunchbang iso one time. There are tools and such for the purpose. Another idea would be to create a modified install in a virtual machine = kvm in a Ubuntu or similar environment, then convert it to an actual install on a partition etc. Never tried that but believe it's possible.

Finally if you can actually get the thing (di) to boot and install. Chroot it from a Ubuntu usb/iso add the unstable repo or even experimental one, whichever has the 5.2 or newer kernel version you want in it and install it or add the Liquorix kernel repo and try it out. Where there's a will, there's a way. Esp when discussing gnu/Linux and technology. Good luck ...
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Oops, thought of another, possibly easiest option. Install one of the fully compatible Debian based aka: Debian called something else. One with latest kernels available. The one which jumps to mind would be Siduction gnu/Linux. Based on unstable but so what, it's full fledged Debian and in my experience Sid is anything but unstable. Ran great for several years here and I'm sure Towo has a wide selection of newish kernel's in the distro's repositories.

kopper

#5 Post by kopper »

Deb-fan wrote: usb/iso add the unstable repo or even experimental one,.
Or buster-backports, which seems to have 5.2 available. I'd prefer that.
Abormot wrote: does not boot with 4.19 kernel.
I might be thick but how it doesn't boot? Can you get the emergency shell? Do you get grub? How do you know kernel is the problem?
Debian 12 Stable with sway
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

Code: Select all

$ rmadison linux-image-amd64
linux-image-amd64 | 3.16+63+deb8u2          | oldoldstable      | amd64, i386
linux-image-amd64 | 4.9+80+deb9u9           | oldstable         | amd64
linux-image-amd64 | 4.19+105+deb10u1~bpo9+1 | stretch-backports | amd64
linux-image-amd64 | 4.19+105+deb10u1        | stable            | amd64
linux-image-amd64 | 5.2+107~bpo10+1         | buster-backports  | amd64
linux-image-amd64 | 5.2+107                 | testing           | amd64
linux-image-amd64 | 5.3.7-1                 | unstable          | amd64
Abormot wrote: I might be thick but how it doesn't boot? Can you get the emergency shell? Do you get grub? How do you know kernel is the problem?
Just install the buster-backports kernel like any other package following the instructions given here.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

arid

#7 Post by arid »

sigh...

Yet another 1 minute 1 step action off into never-never-land.

I'm a sid guy for 20 years. Updated every day as it should be or why bother.

guy@test:~$ uname -a
Linux test 5.3.7-towo.2-siduction-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT siduction 5.3-7.1 (2019-10-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux
I also have the latest buster on this computer, installed last week. Can you guess
what kernel it has? It isn't the one it came with. Took me less than a minute to change it.

See, I cheat with synaptic. It has all that easy-peasy clicky-clicky stuff. I really don't like that little black box.

So I just put all the repositories I need in synaptic and click them on and off as needed.

You of course only install what you want and ignore all the other stuff that's listed unless you want to upgrade to testing or unstable.

You then click back to your normal repo and hit reload to get rid of all that listed stuff you didn't want.

I just accomplished what you want under the exact same conditions as yours.

Do it!

Almost forgot the repo's for your perusal.

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free 
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ experimental non-free contrib main
deb https://packages.siduction.org/fixes/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://packages.siduction.org/extra/ unstable main 

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster main
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ buster-updates main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main 
There's no drama in my sid......

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

For those that prefer not to have a FrankenDebian, I'm also updating the 5.3.2 kernel in my personal Buster backports repo to the 5.3.7 one from the Sid sources.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... source-5.3

I'm running the MX version in MX 19 myself to make sure it doesn't blow up the laptop. If you're using Nvidia drivers, the 435.21 versions in my repo will build on 5.3 kernels.

$ uname -a
Linux msi-gp63 5.3.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.3.7-1~mx19+1 (2019-10-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux
MX also has a rather cool remastering tool that would allow anyone to update the kernel in a virtual machine install, along with the other updated packages like Mesa 19.1.6 from my repo, then make an installable ISO from that updated version. Since MX 19 currently has pretty much the same level of hardware support as Buster plus non-free firmware, we are probably going to provide our own snapshots with the same updates in the future.
MX Linux packager and developer

Abormot

#9 Post by Abormot »

I am so glad for all of you guys. But the only problem is that I can not upgrade my buster to 5.3 kernel just because I can not install it on my Dell XPS 2 in 1 7390.

It has perfomance events issues because of new Ice Lake. So in order to have Debian with kernel 5.3 I need to build custom .iso and this is not that easy as you think.

I am Ubuntu 19.10 user now.

L_V

#10 Post by L_V »

Abormot wrote:When Debian will roll-our release with kernel 5.2 ? I need it - my Dell XPS 2 in 1 7390 with Icelake does not boot with 4.19 kernel.
linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 is available in buster-backports
buster-backports/linux-image-amd64

I don't think you need to build anything, except if you really need 5.3.

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

Abormot wrote: ...
So in order to have Debian with kernel 5.3 I need to build custom .iso and this is not that easy as you think.

I am Ubuntu 19.10 user now.
Yeah, MX's snapshot tool is a really killer feature if you need it, but I don't think you can just install it on Debian and have it work--I think it uses some special modifications that MX makes elswhere. (so much for detractors that have said that MX is just a pretty Debian XFCE...)

Maybe we can figure out which MX tools work in Debian and which don't. Aren't there some other remastering tools out there that are dead simple to use?
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#13 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

stevepusser wrote:Aren't there some other remastering tools out there that are dead simple to use?
http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta/docs/re ... ta2usb.txt

fsmithred is the author & maintainer.
deadbang

Deb-fan

#14 Post by Deb-fan »

Linux bbq had a tool which could turn an install into an install-able iso. Only ever really briefly tried the distro, cause the head dev, was a good friend and a Nix ninja. Don't remember what the util was even called. Am sure there's plenty of tools and remastering scripts which are good and straight-forward to use.

Only ever briefly dorked with a couple of them. One time down-sized the #!(Crunchbang) iso to be just under 700mbs for folks, got tired of people complaining they couldn't install any other way. The process was a real pita at the time, literally took me 3-4dys straight to figure out how to get it done. Also didn't really approach it in an intelligent fashion and was much more ignorant on the subject of gnu/Nix back then. So didn't check out all the avail tools and scripts for the purpose. Machinebacon (guy behind Linuxbbq), then turned around and pointed out 5 or so simple/better ways I could've done it afterwards. :D

Random related: Guessing someone could mount the friggin iso and simply chroot it from live session from a working distro's live session, mod the thing, add + remove as desired and get on with life. Also no doubt more than a few ways to outright bypass the installer and just extract the iso to a partition or whatever, then again ... same thing chroot it and fiddle with it to hearts content. Guess really just depends on the situation I have no intention of modifying the stable iso to includ a newer kernel + firmware etc for people though, shrugs.

Head_on_a_Stick

#15 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

For creating a live image with a custom kernel see https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live ... n.html#808 & https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live ... n.html#426

Using live-build is actually *much* simpler than hacking the ISO image around like a caveperson :)
deadbang

Deb-fan

#16 Post by Deb-fan »

^ Hey ! I resent that remark, if I didn't have to hunt and forage I'd have to bash you ova da head with my club ! :D

Crap now all this talk about fiddling with the iso has me wanting to well, fiddle with the/an iso. On the other hand going to try to resist though, as I'm lazy,