Debian 10 Buster _ Black screen help

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Re: Debian 10 Buster _ Black screen help

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-10-30 13:21

^ No worries, I came off as overly harsh, at least harsher than was truly intended. Think many of those questions could've been self answered with a minimum of time spent on a search engine. Of course am also sleep deprived and have a few of my own tech aggravations on-going. Decided to upgrade to Buster and it's a bit involved to get it set up as I prefer the thing to be.

Wasn't of much help to you, that's Hoas and Stevep, definitely 2 very knowledgeable and experienced nixers. Have seen them many places (at other forums) throughout the years. They really seem to be good guys. Just to be anal ....

It doesn't take "advanced knowledge" to upgrade a kernel, add buster-backports to your OS's sources.list file, "apt update", "apt search linux-image*" and tons of them will pop up, install the one you want + any depends for it will automatically be installed along with it too and possibly it's headers for it if you wish (such as for dkms type junk) ie: "apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.3-amd64" using the 5.2 etc 64bit kernel kept in backports as an example. For that matter it doesn't take any real know how to compile a kernel. Oops: Edit ... you need to install the packages needed to compile stuff as step one, next. Snag one of the installed kernels .config files from /boot on your OS, in the top level build directory of whatever kernels source someone wants to build, pop open a terminal .. run "make clean && make mrproper", rename the file you got from boot to be .config, put it in the build directory and then go through one of any number of how-to's which show how to compile.

Could very well end up with a kernel that works just fine, with all the same config options as the one that was in the .config file for the stock kernel. It definitely does take some advanced kernel knowledge to know what the hell all of those in the maze of config options mean, which are significant or key one's etc blahblah. Again ... though have been doing it for years, have yet to manage a finished custom kernel that's much (if any) better in terms of performance over one I could install in 2mins from the repos.

Also again ... sorry for the harshness of my former post. Frustrated and taking it out on you somewhat, though personally have little patience for those who ask questions they could answer themselves with very little effort. Good luck in your gnu/Nix journey fellow nixer. It's definitely worth doing imo. :)
Deb-fan

Re: Debian 10 Buster _ Black screen help

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-10-30 14:24

Gotta do it ... more sorries folks. :D

Geez I wonder what the weathers like today ? OPEN THE DAMN FRONT DOOR YOU MORON !!! Or google weather +my-zipcode !!! Lol :P
Deb-fan

Previous

Return to Installation