Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Architecture Porting Side-Grade

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
gianlucarenzi

Architecture Porting Side-Grade

#1 Post by gianlucarenzi »

Hello!
I am trying to replace my old server based on Debian Jessie running on a Quad Core PowerPC 790MP @ 2.5Ghz with 16 GB ECC SDRAM with two SATA hard drives (/dev/sda for /, /boot and swap and /dev/sdb for /home folder).
I am installing the same Debiann Jessie on a x86_64 Quad Core @2.83Ghz with the same amount of memory. My concerns are if there is any problem if I simply swap the /dev/sdb to one computer to another even if they have different architectures. And beside of that, I would like to know if there is a quick-and-dirty way to install of extra packages I have installed in the PowerPC system, like to have the same software installed... Like a script to have some dpkg -i .... way...

Best regards,
Gianluca

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Architecture Porting Side-Grade

#2 Post by CwF »

Install dselect on both, run get on the old and set on the newly installed base with correct architecture
something like

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > packages.txt
dpkg --set-selections < packages.txt
apt-get dselect-upgrade