Help for customizing the installation

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Help for customizing the installation

Postby Jambo » 2019-12-01 21:37

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry for my English but it's not my main language.
I'm kinda new to Linux, and I was wondering if it'possibile to avoid the automatic installation of the nvidia nouveau driver during the installation of the SO. Actually y have downloaded the DVD version of debian 10.2 with non free firmware, on a USB device using Rufus.
I'm asking because I have huge problem installing proprietaries nvidia driver cause by the nouveau kernel module that I couldn't find a solution for and it would really help me.
Jambo

Re: Help for customizing the installation

Postby stevepusser » 2019-12-01 23:25

Please follow the Debian wiki instructions to install the Nvidia driver from the non-free section of the repository. This will blacklist the nouveau driver automatically to avoid your huge problem.

You should first install inxi and let us know the result of "inxi -G" in the terminal. This is to avoid any issues with bleeding-edge hardware, or hybrid graphics setups like Optimus, which complicate the issue.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Clipgrab 3.8.6, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.9, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.8.0, KeepassXC 2.5.1
stevepusser

Postby Jambo » 2019-12-02 12:12

Hi,
I already tried to follow the wiki but couldn't find out how to make it work. I tried multiple ways (even unofficial guide) but i always had to reinstall debian as result.
Your command gives me this output
"Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GTX 650] driver: nouveau v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVE7 v: 4.3 Mesa 18.3.6"
Not sure it's right, i should have an intel integrated graphics card on the processor.
Jambo

Postby stevepusser » 2019-12-02 22:23

Desktops often disable the integrated GPU in favor of the discrete one.

First, you must set up your system to build drivers. This is easy, just (as sysadmin--root or sudo)
Code: Select all
apt install module-asistant nvidia-detect
m-a prepare

Then run "nvidia-detect" so see what driver you should be using for your card. If the standard "nvidia-driver", first just try the module-build to see if it succeeds. You have to actually watch the output to make sure it doesn't error out someplace.

Code: Select all
apt install nvidia-kernel-dkms

If successful, go ahead and install nvidia-driver, if that's what it needs.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Clipgrab 3.8.6, Hedgewars 1.0.0, PulseEffects 4.6.9, Telegram-desktop 1.8.15, Pale Moon 28.8.0, KeepassXC 2.5.1
stevepusser

Return to Installation