Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10.1 install cannot open display :0 - SOLVED.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Tonto

Debian 10.1 install cannot open display :0 - SOLVED.

#1 Post by Tonto »

I've just purchased a 128GB USB stick containing Deb 10.1 DVD images and have successfully completed an installation on my Intel W5Pro stick computer.

However, when I attempt the same thing on my Qotom MiniPC the boot messages almost immediately loop on WARNING: cannot open display :0. No further progress.

Device specs are:
CPU: Celeron(R) CPU J1900 @ 1.99GHz
Host bridge: Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series SoC Transaction Register [8086:F00]
VGA controller: Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display [8086:F31]
Driver: i915

Deb 8.2 installed successfully and has been running fine.

First time I've struck this with any Debian version. Could someone please advise or assist? Thanks for any reply.

ADDED: after fiddling for a bit and Ctl-C'ing the error loop, I used Alt-Ctl-Delete to reboot. The old commandline install screen came up for a second or two after which the reboot took effect. It may be that altering the DVD boot parms could get past the problem, either by changing the vga number or the initrd invocation to eliminate the GTK version and use the old commandline version (which I much prefer anyway). Parms are:

setparams 'Debian 10.1.0 AMD64 Install Disk #1 (Install Debian to hard drive)'

linux (hd0,msdos3)/install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet
initrd (hd0,msdos3)/install.amd/gtk/initrd.gz
Last edited by Tonto on 2019-12-19 01:11, edited 1 time in total.

Tonto

Re: Debian 10.1 install cannot open display :0.

#2 Post by Tonto »

OK!!! Changed the initrd invocation to:

initrd (hd0,msdos3)/install.amd/initrd.gz

... and I'm in the old commandline version. Will proceed from here and post results.

Tonto

Re: Debian 10.1 install cannot open display :0 - SOLVED.

#3 Post by Tonto »

Installation completed successfully and new system up and running in LXDE.

The fault is obviously with the Graphic Installer (which I think is a new bit of kit) rather than with 10.1 itself.

I'd be grateful if someone could pass this along to the Debian devs to add to their bug list.