Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newbie to debian having problem installing base system

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Corillian

Newbie to debian having problem installing base system

#1 Post by Corillian »

I am trying to install the stable release of Debian on my Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop. I have a 40gb hard drive with WinXP Pro on the 1st partition (30gb). SuSE 8.0 used to be installed on the 2nd partition (10gb) but I deleted it to install Debian. I was using the SuSE LILO to dual boot the system. Because I don't have any blank CD's readily available I booted debian from a floppy with boot.img, root.img and the net drivers img. I am installing from the internet using my integrated ethernet adapter. Every time I try to install the base installation I get the following errors:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/kernel/fs/isofs/isofs.o
insmod isofs
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
/dev/loop/0: ioctl BLKGETSIZE64 failed: No such device or address
/dev/loop/1: ioctl BLKGETSIZE64 failed: No such device or address
/dev/loop/2: ioctl BLKGETSIZE64 failed: No such device or address
/dev/loop/3: ioctl BLKGETSIZE64 failed: No such device or address
/dev/loop/4: ioctl BLKGETSIZE64 failed: No such device or address
/dev/loop/5: ioctl BLKGETSIZE64 failed: No such device or address
/dev/loop/6: ioctl BLKGETSIZE64 failed: No such device or address
/dev/loop/7: ioctl BLKGETSIZE64 failed: No such device or address
No matching physical volumes found

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Scorpaen

#2 Post by Scorpaen »

i suggest you try a 2.6 kernel if that's available with the boot floppies. not sure, i've always installed from CD

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

I agree 100% with Scorpaen that a 2.6 kernel is preferable to a 2.4 kernel. Unfortunately, the people making Debian's boot floppies have made only the kernel 2.4 version. :-(

Suggestion1:
Download the most recent boot images and hope that the error has been corrected.

Suggestion 2:
When the installer displays the initial splash screen, page through F1-F9 instead of just pressing enter. There are a lot of installer options, and one or more of them might make the difference for you. At the very least, choose the expert26 option, which will install Kernel 2.6 and will give you a front-seat view during the installation.

Suggestion 3:
There is a procedure for downloading the installer ISO to your hard drive and Booting from Hard Disk. I haven't ever tried this, so I can't tell you how easy or difficult it is.