Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
peterhw

Debian install

#1 Post by peterhw »

I have the two dvd set of Debian 3.1r0a sarge and I am trying to install past the basic system which I have running. I would like a group and package list for both dvds from which I can select groups of packages and individual packages for installation. I have tried to use apt-get, aptitude, and dselect, but to no avail. What do I need to do to select packages and install them?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Close. Very, very close. :-) To configure apt to see CDs and DVDs, use the command apt-cdrom.

peterhw

Debian install

#3 Post by peterhw »

I tired to use apt-cdrom, but found no option that was for dvd. I tried apt-cdrom ident and it red the identity of both dvds (a string of hex and the name of the dvd). The default mount point works just fine. How do I make aptitude read a complete package list of both dvds and actually load and install packages?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

1. Look in /etc/fstab to determine the mount point for your DVD drive.
2. # apt-cdrom -d /dvd_drive_mount_point add
3. You will be prompted to insert a DVD into the drive. Insert only; do not try to mount the DVD.
4. Press enter. apt-cdrom will scan the DVD, add a line entry in /etc/apt/sources.list, and record the contents of the DVD in apt's database.
5. Manually eject DVD.
6. Repeat process for 2nd DVD.

Thereon, when you instruct apt-get or dselect to install one or more programs known to be on DVD, you will be prompted to insert a DVD into the drive.

I have just enough experience with aptitude and synaptic to realize that I have no use for either of them. Rumor has it that one or the other (don't know which; might be both) tries to create it's own database instead of using apt's. If you want to struggle with them, go ahead. :-)