terminal login after install

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

terminal login after install

Postby techwinder » 2019-12-30 11:56

Hi everyone,
Tried to install Debian for the first time. I used the graphic installer and everything went well. I Selected the KDE desktop.
However GRUB directs directly to the terminal and does not launch the desktop. I'm just a casual linux user who has been working with another distro up to now, so I've no idea what to do next.
BtW, I tried this on two distinct computers with exactly the same result.
Attached is the screenshot of the point I've reached.
Thanks in advance for any help.

techwinder

Re: terminal login after install

Postby techwinder » 2019-12-30 14:57

Thanks, but the thread is of no help at all.
Still stuck.
techwinder

Postby Hallvor » 2020-01-07 15:39

This happened to me 14 days ago when installing Debian 10 KDE on one of my dad's old laptops. It needed non-free video drivers to boot to the desktop.

Without knowing your hardware, there is not much anyone can do to help.

Lenovo Thinkpad T440S, Intel Core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Lenovo Thinkpad X240, Intel Core i5-4300U CPU @ 2.90GHz, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Hallvor

Postby oswaldkelso » 2020-01-07 19:24

It could be many things. My shuttle machine was notoriously difficult with many desktops.

Strange it happens on 2 machines. Before you go wasting your day. Did you check the iso?

I got this from my notes on plasma.

"plasma really struggled to load the monitor. Very slow to start like over a minute or two. First time I got a black screen and waited.
Eventually an option to select a monitor appeared. I clicked the wrong one and got a permanent black screen. I opened a tty and went in to .local/share/kscreen and deleted the file in there. rebooted and tried again this time I selected the correct monitor and eventually got a desktop."

Basically it thought I had 2 monitors and picked the one I didn't have as the main primary monitor.

Have you tried typing

startx
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Return to Installation