Latest Debian: LUKS on LVM manual partitioning wont boot

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Latest Debian: LUKS on LVM manual partitioning wont boot

Postby blackfuture » 2020-01-23 21:27

Hello everyone, today i decided to install Debian on my UEFI laptop so i could set up a few VMs. As a paranoid System Administrator with a lot of sensible information from my bussiness, i've decided to encrypt my Debian installation. I have Windows 10 installed (no encryption), so i did the manual partitioning. I created an encrypted partition on 100gb of free space, set up lvm on top of the LUKS partition, selected the ESP as /boot/efi, installed Debian on the encrypted LVM, it all went well, but, when rebooted, the machine would land on "Minimal BASH like editing is supported" GRUB screen. I tried reinstalling again with no luck, used another USB, nothing helped. Only doing LUKS with no LVM helped, but, instead of the usual "please unlock /dev/sdX" screen you get when using the "Use entire disk and set encrypted LVM" option, i was greeted with my BIOS splash screen being "invaded" by a prompt to unlock my disk (i have an Asus laptop, the Asus logo had a prompt to decrypt the disk over it, on the top left corner), before entering GRUB. So, my questions are:
Why LUKS on LVM wont boot?
How can get the prompt to decrypt the disk after grub? (as i said above, like when you select the "use entire disk and set encrypted lvm" option).
Any help would be really appreciated
blackfuture

Re: Latest Debian: LUKS on LVM manual partitioning wont boot

Postby blackfuture » 2020-01-25 01:19

Thanks! I have /boot/efi unencrypted though
blackfuture

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-01-25 09:39

GRUB's modules are located under /boot, even for UEFI systems. The linked bug report has a workaround for full disk encryption including /boot
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby p.H » 2020-01-27 09:32

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:GRUB's modules are located under /boot, even for UEFI systems.

Actually under /boot/grub, which could be in the EFI partition.
p.H

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-01-27 13:08

^ Very true but the OP clearly states:
selected the ESP as /boot/efi
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby p.H » 2020-01-27 14:55

Both do not conflict. /boot/grub could be a symlink pointing at some directory in /boot/efi.
p.H

Return to Installation