[Solved] Buster freezes at "Started Gnome Display Manager"

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

[Solved] Buster freezes at "Started Gnome Display Manager"

Postby Prairie » 2020-02-11 02:05

This post is dual purpose: first, to provide me with future reference & second, to help other newbies solve an issue that took me lots of trial & error mistakes before this post.

Was running Stretch happily for years on a desktop until my video card failed. Replaced card but had driver issue (worked but poorly). When discovered Buster was out, made more sense to upgrade than to search for a fix for the older release.

Used an AMD64 iso DVD to install. Upon rebooting, start up froze/hung at "Started Gnome Display Manager".

Tired re-installing, nope. Searched via google & here. Tried many things (installing haveged, purging/re-installng nvidia, adjusting grub, etc, etc, etc). But solution, for me, was as follows.

So at the freeze, interrupted with "Ctrl F2" to get to command prompt.
Logged in as root.
Used an editor (I chose Vi) to edit sources.list to ensure 'main contrib non-free' were listed. Saved & closed.
Performed update.
Installed AMD drivers for my older Asus video card EN8800GS (# apt install firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree libdrm-amdgpu1 xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu).
Performed another update.
Rebooted.
Buster now working flawlessly for me.

Thus, for others, make sure you know what video card you are using, install the correct driver & it *should* solve your issue (if it was like mine).

Hope this helps someone!
Prairie

Re: [Solved] Buster freezes at "Started Gnome Display Manage

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-02-11 05:08

Prairie wrote:start up froze/hung at "Started Gnome Display Manager"

It wasn't "hung" at all, the machine was functional :roll:

And did you not bother searching before posting?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974

FFS...
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Prairie » 2020-02-11 05:43

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Prairie wrote:start up froze/hung at "Started Gnome Display Manager"

It wasn't "hung" at all, the machine was functional :roll:

And did you not bother searching before posting?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974

FFS...

Rule 5: Be polite. Remember that the skill level of the forum members ranges from the absolute beginner to the very seasoned Linux user and what might be obvious to you might be very hard to understand for others. It's OK to point someone to other resources or suggest means of learning but do so politely; 'RTFM' has no place on this board.

Thus HOAS please get off your high horse. If you actually read my post, you'd have realized I did search (ie when someone knows exactly what the problem is, or exactly what to search for, it isn't really a problem is it?); I spent over a week trying to solve before I found my answer. Not everyone knows debian as well as you obviously do so perhaps if you want to be helpful next time, post some alternative wording on your solution, so that us newbies can first find your solution before trying to understand it. Or alternatively, just skip the threads you don't want to be helpful with--rather than being rude!

Personally I'd rather help someone than act superior.

PS, mods, I apologize for replying to what I see as a troll but I don't want a comment like HOAS' scaring off possible newbies from commenting legitimately on my, or anyone else's thread. I joined to learn and teach not be bullied or tolerate it.
Prairie

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-02-11 16:32

Prairie wrote:Rule 5: Be polite. Remember that the skill level of the forum members ranges from the absolute beginner to the very seasoned Linux user and what might be obvious to you might be very hard to understand for others. It's OK to point someone to other resources or suggest means of learning but do so politely; 'RTFM' has no place on this board.

:lol:

Prairie wrote:I did search (ie when someone knows exactly what the problem is, or exactly what to search for, it isn't really a problem is it?); I spent over a week trying to solve before I found my answer.

Your search-fu is poor. Work on it, you'll get better with practice.
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Installation