Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing 10.3.0 on home HP. Fail due to amdgpu firmware

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
dpaulc

Installing 10.3.0 on home HP. Fail due to amdgpu firmware

#1 Post by dpaulc »

I'm trying to set up a dual boot on my relatively new HP Elite desktop. When I choose the Debian boot manager and load Debian, the cli status message says that amdgpu firmware update is required and hangs.

Any ideas on how I can add the amdgpu firmware update to the basic installion distribution?

Thanks

stevepusser

Re: Installing 10.3.0 on home HP. Fail due to amdgpu firmwar

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Boot a Live session that includes the latest Debian firmware updates, such as MX Linux 19 or 19.1, and report what Quick System Info says in MX. That way we'd have some idea of your hardware, at least. Note that very new AMD hardware may need the AHS version of MX 19.1, and Debian firmware is aging, last updated in July, though I'm trying to see if I can build newer versions myself for MX.

Are you sure it wants to update the firmware, or that it's missing altogether? The standard Debian ISOs don't include any AMD firmware, because it's not FLOSS.
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Installing 10.3.0 on home HP. Fail due to amdgpu firmwar

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

dpaulc wrote:the cli status message says that amdgpu firmware update is required and hangs
I am so ****ing sick of these ridiculous "hangs" claims, it really does piss me off :x

Just download the newest firmware files from AMD and copy them to /lib/firmware/amdgpu/, use this kernel parameter to boot to a console screen:

Code: Select all

systemd.unit=multi-user.target
See also http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974

EDIT: and you'll need a newer kernel as well, see my other [FAQ] for details.
deadbang