Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation not able to use my network interface

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
survivalbloke

Installation not able to use my network interface

#1 Post by survivalbloke »

I'm installing onto my dell poweredge server using USB. I first attempted using the net install version of the boot USB. I got network errors, so I downloaded the full live install, but still the same thing.

When I get to the network portion, it detects both of my nics, then asks which to use, so I choose the connected one obviously. It then fails to obtain a DHCP address. My machine has an automatically assigned address during bios to 192.168.1.25. During the install, even though I am unable to continue at the network section, I am able to ping the server from another machine. What is odd is that I entered an alternate terminal (ctrl-F4) and "ip a" shows the ip address of the nic as 192.168.1.205!

What should I do with this craziness?

Deb-fan

Re: Installation not able to use my network interface

#2 Post by Deb-fan »

Sounds to me could be stemming from the custom config'ing you've got setup, iso clearly has the firmware on it to recognize/use your nic's. Would proceed with install and then fix it afterwards, with whatever you're using to handle config'ing networking up to setting a static IP for whichever interfaces manually in places like /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf for dns etc. If you're using a non-standard approach to setting up network some added fiddling could clearly be necessary for Debian to use it.

I do minimal Debian netinstalls, many times with only wireless which needs proprietary drivers, so no eth0/wired connection. Means no net connection at all during install. Just taken to proceeding with install and sorting it out later(getting wireless working is installing two pkgs). Which this is a pita in ways but nothing I can put off on the Debian installer, a situation the folks at Debian can do nothing about for me. Plenty of solutions too just haven't taken interest or utilized them as yet. Also not well versed at this point in what people can do to set/alter networking in the installer, probably a bunch of stuff, including what's needed to get it working for your setup. Would be googling on that. Stuff like "installing Debian Linux with static IP", "using/setting static ip +Debian Linux installer"etc. Likely turn up the info you need to get it done with minimal headaches. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

survivalbloke

#3 Post by survivalbloke »

I don't know what else to do. I finished the install and Debian boots. I have no network activity.

Code: Select all

ip link
shows both nics.

ip link set dev eno1 up
and

ip link set eno1 up
both produce the same result which is an error
RTNETLINK: No such file or directory

I checked in /etc/network/interfaces and there is nothing listed there. interfaces.d is empty as well. I opened the network settings in XFCE and both my adapters were available in the drop down box, so I chose the first, and my manual IP address settings were already present from during the install. Still no network.

I'm at a loss here. There really isn't any custom config in the bios. I have options to either set the nics to disabled, dhcp or static. I've since changed the setting to DHCP for boot, during which the nic IS issued an address of 192.168.1.26. Once the machine is booted into Debian, I'm able to ping my Debian machine at 192.168.1.26 from another machine on the network. However, my Debian machine is NOT able to ping anything.

https://imgur.com/PEfnZD5 There's a picture(imgur) of my ip link results.

https://imgur.com/yB9affZ Here's a pic of my empty etc/network/interfaces file

Deb-fan

#4 Post by Deb-fan »

Going to be a matter of setting these kinds of things ... static ip etc) where-how based on what you're using to handle networking. Like NetworkManager or others. I now prefer using networkd + wpa_supplicant to handle wired/wireless interfaces and also don't want systemd-resolved involved. Which things I'd need to fiddle with change based on this preference. So would determine what's in use in terms of handling networking on a given install, then review it's doc's and poke around in the relevant config files or settings available in that softwares graphical interface until figuring out how to get it setup as wanted. Sorry ... may be missing something significant or obvious involved too.

Maybe check to see if the firmware-linux-nonfree pkg is installed, even when using the unofficial iso(with nonfree included) my Broadcom wireless isn't supported. Maybe they can't ship with that driver/module legally. Maybe interfaces are recognized, not properly supported? A cool trick I've discovered due to all this Broadcom butt-aches, a Debian install can be chroot'ed in live session with another iso that does support xyz-problem-hardware and it'll have working networking or wireless. Could try it with a Linux Mint iso or whichever other.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

LouisTz

AC 3165 /Firmware iwlwifi 7265D-[22,26]

#5 Post by LouisTz »

Hi,
i have a problem whit my intel AC-3165.
During the installation, there was not the firmware in debian-installer.
After the installation i have installed iwlwifi-firmware and my device is detected by the system and it detects wifi signals, but
it doesn't connect to the network.
The only problem I noticed is the lack of the files: 7265D- [23,26] .ucode, but these files don't exist anywhere.

Can you help me find these files or solve the problem in some way?