Can’t download nvidia drivers from non-free contrib

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Can’t download nvidia drivers from non-free contrib

Postby SivMonkey » 2020-03-16 11:54

Hi my graphical desktop is not working. I get a blank black screen with blinking text cursor in top left. I’ve booted into the shell looking terminal (don’t know what it’s called..) from pressing “e” in boot loader, then typing systemd.multi-user.target — something like that. Then signing in as root user then editing sources list and adding contrib non-free after main in the lines saved and updated and then tried to download the drivers and they download fine but when I try and install it doesn’t work. I forget what it said specifically (I’m at work right now) but something along the lines of needed different files for it to be installed. So then I tried adding the back ports to the sources because after looking at the sources components list on wiki I think that’s the right thing I have to add because I have nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card.. but still not working.. can’t seem to be able to install and update firmware and get into a graphical desktop. Any help pointing me in right direction would be appreciated. Thx.

I followed this topic to get the drivers.
“http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142974”
And sources.
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
SivMonkey

Re: Can’t download nvidia drivers from non-free contrib

Postby arochester » 2020-03-16 13:06

Have you tried downloading "Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super Driver For Linux" from Nvidia?

https://nvidiageforcedrivers.com/nvidia ... for-linux/
arochester

Postby Dai_trying » 2020-03-16 14:13

I had a similar problem (on different spec machine) and found i needed to have the motherboard VGA port connected to the screen, I can't remember the exact board but it was GIGABYTE one, after booting that way and updating the BIOS (UEFI actually, but same difference) I could then connect screen to graphics card as normal. Might not help in your case but could be worth a shot if it is possible with your hardware. And I had the problem booting from usb to install Debian, and it sounds as if you have already installed, so might not really be relevant...
Dai_trying

Postby SivMonkey » 2020-03-16 15:09

arochester wrote:Have you tried downloading "Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super Driver For Linux" from Nvidia?

https://nvidiageforcedrivers.com/nvidia ... for-linux/

I don’t have a 2070 super does that have any difference? Do you know if I download it from the shell terminal not being in the graphical desktop? With just like apt install nvidia blah blah blah?
SivMonkey

Postby SivMonkey » 2020-03-16 15:12

Dai_trying wrote:I had a similar problem (on different spec machine) and found i needed to have the motherboard VGA port connected to the screen, I can't remember the exact board but it was GIGABYTE one, after booting that way and updating the BIOS (UEFI actually, but same difference) I could then connect screen to graphics card as normal. Might not help in your case but could be worth a shot if it is possible with your hardware. And I had the problem booting from usb to install Debian, and it sounds as if you have already installed, so might not really be relevant...

I’ll see when I get home from work. I got a second monitor with vga connection but I don’t think my gpu even has a vga port maybe I can just connect straight from onboard graphics and try but I might run into same issue having to install the onboard graphics driver.. I’ll check it out though thanks for tip. And yea I already got the os installed.
SivMonkey

Postby stevepusser » 2020-03-18 03:26

So...what driver did nvidia-detect say to install when you ran it? That's an important bit of information that you left out.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.6, Strawberry 0.6.11, Muse 3.1.0, Chromium with va-api, Audacity 2.4.1, Kdenlive 20.04
stevepusser

Return to Installation