Can I install Buster on AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X machine ...

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Can I install Buster on AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X machine ...

Postby hannu » 2020-04-06 16:05

I thought I'd ask before trying ... there was an issue trying to install Debian/Ubuntu on a third generation AMD processor machine. I know that this issue disappeared from the Ubuntus with upgrade to 5.x kernels, but I don't know if that is still a problem with Debian 10.3, as it still is 4.19 kernel?
I remember reading that somebody got around it by installing minimal Buster Stable on an Intel machine, upgrading it to Testing, then moving that SSD to the AMD machine and install the rest there.
I hope that is not the only way to get an AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X/motherboard X570 running Debian?
Ideally I'd prefer to have a Debian Testing installation CD (with 5.4 or 5.6 kernel). There are a lot of these new generations AMD machines sold and build these days.
Thank you,
Hannu
hannu
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2009-09-03 23:21

Re: Can I install Buster on AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X machine ...

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-04-06 16:19

hannu wrote:Iif that is still a problem with Debian 10.3, as it still is 4.19 kernel?

Yes, it still an issue. Debian stable is so called because the package versions don't change.

hannu wrote:somebody got around it by installing minimal Buster Stable on an Intel machine, upgrading it to Testing, then moving that SSD to the AMD machine and install the rest there.

Seems a bit extreme, your motherboard should be able to boot to a console from where you can update to the newer kernel from the buster-backports repository. The testing branch has a habit of breaking randomly on a semi-regular basis so you really shouldn't use it for anything important.

I've made an ISO image that supplies the buster-backports kernel (along with newer non-free firmware ported from Ubuntu) OOTB, you could try that. If you do then please let me know if it works. See my signature for the download link and instructions.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 12744
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Can I install Buster on AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X machine ...

Postby hannu » 2020-04-06 19:19

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
hannu wrote:Iif that is still a problem with Debian 10.3, as it still is 4.19 kernel?

Yes, it still an issue. Debian stable is so called because the package versions don't change.

hannu wrote:somebody got around it by installing minimal Buster Stable on an Intel machine, upgrading it to Testing, then moving that SSD to the AMD machine and install the rest there.

Seems a bit extreme, your motherboard should be able to boot to a console from where you can update to the newer kernel from the buster-backports repository. The testing branch has a habit of breaking randomly on a semi-regular basis so you really shouldn't use it for anything important.

I've made an ISO image that supplies the buster-backports kernel (along with newer non-free firmware ported from Ubuntu) OOTB, you could try that. If you do then please let me know if it works. See my signature for the download link and instructions.


That was a great reply, thank you very much, I will try your suggestions!
Hannu
hannu
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2009-09-03 23:21


Return to Installation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

fashionable