Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Another 'No partitionable media was found' problem

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.

Another 'No partitionable media was found' problem

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi, my computer is a brand new ACER Inspire T630, P4 3.2 Mhz, 200 Gb HD, 1,5 Gb DDR2 RAM.

I have the 'No partitionable media was found' problem when installing SARGE (from a dvd that came with a magazine). The dvd should have no problems since I have already used it on another computer.

Trying manual hardware detection, I received this message:

"Linux kernel modules needed to drive some of your hardware are not available yet. Simply proceeding with the install may make these modules available later.

the unavailable modules and the devices that need them are: ide-scsi (Linux IDE-SCSI emulation layer), ide-mod (Linux IDE driver), ide-probe-mod (Linux IDE probe driver), ide-detect (Linux IDE detection), ide-floppy (Linux IDE floppy)"

I tried to install other distros (just to check, I WANT SARGE): Fedora Core 4 freezes; Mandriva 2005 L.E. seems to have no problems, the partitioner reads the HD prefectly.

My question is: what do I do now? How will I know when the needed modules will be available? Any other way to install SARGE?

Thanks a lot for any help & bye.

P.S. = I did 5 hours of Googling and Yahooing around before asking...

P.S.2 = Someone suggested to try formatting with a live distro like Knoppix. I will now give it a try, but from logic, I don't think it will work.

#2 Post by Guest »

Is the entire hard drive partitioned as FAT and/or NTFS? The error message would seem to make sense if the Debian installer saw no unpartitioned real estate.

When the installer displayed the initial splash screen, did you read the F1-F10 screens or just press enter? If you haven't read those screens, do so. Use expert26 mode when installing, even if you consider yourself a newbie.

#3 Post by Guest »

The HD has 3 Windows partitions with NTFS formatting, plus 50 Gb of free - unpartitioned - space waiting for SARGE.
On my other PC everything worked perfectly even if I had the complete HD partitioned as NTFS - I just cut out some space for SARGE.

At startup I tried both Linux26 and expert26 installs with the same results: NO partitionable media.

I also considered to do a netinstall - just to catch possible new kernel modules. Unfortunately I have DSL and it doesn't work.

Yes, I am a total newbie both to SARGE and Linux - another who is trying to run away from Windows. But having survived a Gentoo install about 3 weeks ago, I am starting to understand how things are working.

I'm open to suggestions and thanks a lot for any help.

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

That first response was me, not logged in. :-(

I suggest that you download the current netinstall iso from Testing. "Netinstall" is not the name I would have chosen for this CD. It contains all the files necessary to do a basic Debian install on a computer that is not connected to the network. On a stand-alone computer, the installer will try very hard to establish a network connection, but will eventually give up and complete the install. (Debian, for reasons that I don't understand, includes exim, a mail transfer agent, as part of the base installation, and it is exim that insists upon that network connection). On your computer, it should see and configure the DSL connection. (It had no trouble whatsoever with my cable connection.)

It's a ~120-meg download, which should come down a DSL connection pretty fast. Either burn the ISO to a CD or there is a procedure for copying the ISO to your hard drive and installing it from there. I have never tried this procedure, and don't have a clue as to how easy or difficult it may be.

Once the base install is made, you use the DVD as your local apt-get repository.

The reason I recommend the latest Testing ISO instead of the Stable ISO is that the Stable ISO has had extensive usage since June 6th, and I'm betting that there has been serious installer debugging, with improvements not yet backported to Sarge.

Are you setting up Debian as a workstation? If so, I would set sources.list to Testing, not Stable (Sarge).

#5 Post by Guest »

Harold, you are my saviour ! I wish I could buy you a drink. Too bad I'm in Italy and you are where? US?

Like you said, I downloaded the testing netinstall and ran it. Upon finding no HD, it gives you the possibility of specifying a driver. My HD is a SATA Seagate Barracuda. I first tested the SATA SG (SeaGate ??) driver with no success, so I did some testing with other SATA drivers until I found 1 that worked! Don't ask which one though, I can't remember. Starts with U.

So now I am off to format the 50Gb of free space. FINALLY.

Thanks again for your precious help,

Luca

Harold

#6 Post by Harold »

SATA... Three steps forward and one back? What is it the British say -- Too clever by half!
Sounds like the standard query from now on in response to installer questions will be: IDE or SATA?
I don't have a SATA drive. My motherboard isn't built for it. My EIDE drive works just fine.
Hey guys, the forum has an opening for the SATA Guru position!