Migrating from VM to Physical disk

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Migrating from VM to Physical disk

Postby for.ggame.playing » 2020-04-18 11:02

It was such a delightful experience to use Debian linux that I wanted to experience it on the physical hard disk with full access to hardware and feel the power of software at it's best.
Here I present a method of doing so. If you have any other method please let me know.
I will try to backup the OS completely to an image file inside the virtual machine, then I will transfer it via share folder to the real hard drive and finally install in on the physical drive.
Please consider this method of migration and tell me about possible risks, obstacles, failures, and of course solutions.
My host PC OS: Windows 10
for.ggame.playing

Re: Migrating from VM to Physical disk

Postby CwF » 2020-04-18 12:51

The question concerns the host, winders10, so who knows?

Otherwise, it depends on how the image is created and arranged and it's format.

A qcow2 and other image formats can be directly written to a device, and visa-versa.
CwF

Postby arzgi » 2020-04-18 12:52

Seems to me complicated.

If you have done some user settings you'd like preserve, I'd copy them to some external media, like usb-stick, and do a new install from image found on http://www.debian.org
arzgi

Postby for.ggame.playing » 2020-04-18 13:16

I wanted to know whether I can copy the system files, features and programms indirectly to another hard disk WHILE OPERATING WITHIN THE DEBIAN OS.
Thx in advance.
I wish you great health
for.ggame.playing

Postby arzgi » 2020-04-18 13:35

Might work or not, try if you must. But as I said, I think that's wrong question.

(Re)installing Linux is a lot easier than windows, of course this is subjective view.
arzgi

Postby CwF » 2020-04-18 14:29

for.ggame.playing wrote: I can copy the system files, features and programms indirectly to another hard disk WHILE OPERATING WITHIN THE DEBIAN OS.

of course you can.
arzgi wrote: I think that's wrong question

bingo

I understand one might think the backup or migration of a guest OS might concern the guest OS itself, it doesn't. Every question will fall on the host to complete. The easiest way to test a vm on hardware, or preserve a config is to simply copy the vm's image file. Don't over think it.

How to copy the vm image to file for backup or another device to run bare metal? Ask your win10 hypervisor!
How to attach additional storage so the vm OS can do it itself? Ask your win10 hypervisor!
CwF

Return to Installation