Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

RTL 8168 can´t boot

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
maraven2001

RTL 8168 can´t boot

#1 Post by maraven2001 »

I just made a fresh install of Debian, motherboard MSI 81m-e33, all went well, but when I tried to boot, and every time I try to boot I get two firmware errors, first something about microcodes, but that does not stop the booting process, then when it starts to install the ethernet adapter, it says something about the firmware RTL 8168, apparently it's not included in the installation image, and the booting process basically freezes, it is not crashed, it just stops cold, when I turn off the computer it says requesting turn off etc. So it's not frozen, but just can't or won't continue. Weird thing is that it detects and uses the ethernet when it installs but can't use it when booting, and goes on to freeze.

I tried using a USB ethernet adapter, did not work tried using my phone for internet, did not work, a USB wifi dongle, did not work.

I booted into recovery mode, but not much I can do without internet, can those drivers be downloaded and then installed from a pen drive or similar ?? I ask for some advice to get this system going, I installed manjaro and it worked just fine, formatted that drive and now debian won't work.

Thanks

Manuel

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RTL 8168 can´t boot

#2 Post by sunrat »

You can download the package firmware-realtek from https://packages.debian.org/stretch-bac ... re-realtek and install it locally using apt or Gdebi. For microcode, search intel-microcode or amd-microcode and download whichever one matches your CPU.
I usually recommend to use the "unofficial" non-free install image which includes firmware to avoid these problems, unless you are ideologically opposed (and if you are, your devices won't work anyway).
Note that this is one of the most common questions asked on the forum and the answers are already here somewhere if you search.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

maraven2001

#3 Post by maraven2001 »

Hi, it seems something else is wrong, as I tried both, manually install the firmware, and after that did not work, I tried using a non-free instal image, and got the same result. The boot process stops when it can´t load 8168 firmware, now having said that my card is 8111G. Don't know if that makes much of a difference, but will try to find another set of firmware specifically for it, and also will try to find an older version of debian that has 8111G specific firmware. Maybe that will work, open to any other suggestion.

Thanks

Manuel

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

maraven2001 wrote:The boot process stops
Have you tried switching to a console screen? Lots of Windows refugees mistake a failure to start the graphical desktop for a "hang" (as they so irritatingly put it).

Add 4 as a kernel command line parameter from the GRUB screen to stop the graphical desktop from loading at all.
deadbang