Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

XKBOPTIONS

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
oui

XKBOPTIONS

#1 Post by oui »

Hi

I did discover now this option in /etc/default/keyboard that I am searching for yeaaaaaaaaaaaars (since the xorg.conf is not anymore usuable :oops: a very long time. Linux is not the easy OS any more it was in the past - I did search at each reinstallation in /etc/X11, where it was in the past, for instructions / help / usermanual, nothing... are not in /etc/X11/xkb or .../xorg.conf.d).

But now I can not remember any more how it was possible to commute till 4 keyboards layouts with key like one of the both windows key (not used by me actually on my system) in the 4th line

Code: Select all

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us,in,in"
XKBVARIANT="intl,,tam"
XKBOPTIONS="xxxxxxxx"
Where can I find that information (and other proposals in case it would not work as I assume it)?

Kind regards

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: XKBOPTIONS

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oui wrote:since the xorg.conf is not anymore usuable
It's still usable as long as you're running X. It won't work under Wayland though, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I've never had to switch keyboard options but this might be of use:

localectl --help
deadbang

oui

#3 Post by oui »

thank you very much!

it seems to be easy:

set-x11-keymap LAYOUT [MODEL [VARIANT [OPTIONS]]]
but without example, no way to use it correctly for switching layouts (although switching layout are needing for half or more of the people of our planet: Chinese (1,5 mrd people, only the north half of them speaks really Mandarin, the only official common language. The other one speak languages like Cantonese etc. And Chinese need often other writing or input systems), Indian people (also 1,5 mrd people; a lot of languages and completely writing systems like Devanagari, «in» in my example in my first message, Tamil, «in tam» in my example and a lot of other writing systems for the other local national languages of India, plus English uk for those speaking English). Some countries have 2 equivalent writing forms (India for the language Hindi, and Urdu, is the same language, for Pakistan as Pakistan was cut from India and writes Hindi with an adapted Arabic alphabet like in the past Indonesia; but Indonesia writes today the pure Latin alphabet with constant phonetic, not like English :mrgreen: ), Serbo-kroatisch (the same tongue but one half written with Slavish letters and the other half adapted Latin letters).

Writting is probably today the most important activity in over 95 % of the used computers in the world. Only a little quantity is used for non read activities like calculate etc.

If you did never have to change the layout, you will probably have only a very Occidental style of live :idea: . That is the reason! But the rest of the world wakes up since years; wake up yourself if you will avoid surprises...

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

oui wrote:it seems to be easy:

set-x11-keymap LAYOUT [MODEL [VARIANT [OPTIONS]]]
but without example, no way to use it correctly for switching layouts[/code]

empty@E485 ~ % localectl list-x11-keymap-<tab>
completing localectl command
list-x11-keymap-layouts   -- Show known X11 keyboard mapping layouts
list-x11-keymap-models    -- Show known X11 keyboard mapping models
list-x11-keymap-options   -- Show known X11 keyboard mapping options
list-x11-keymap-variants  -- Show known X11 keyboard mapping variants
So use the above commands to show a list of the available options for the various arguments for which you need examples then substitute one for each argument.

There is also

# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
oui wrote:switching layout are needing for half or more of the people of our planet
Those people can use xxkb or fbxkb to change layout via a GUI.
oui wrote:If you did never have to change the layout, you will probably have only a very Occidental style of live
Yes, I am an incorrigible monoglot. I make no apologies :mrgreen:
deadbang