Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hang on inital boot screen.

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
graemev2

Hang on inital boot screen.

#1 Post by graemev2 »

I just downloaded and cut a DVD of debian-10.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso. I've cut 2 instances of the DVD (in case it was a writer error)

On the system I'm planning to install, I boot the DVD (multiple time, both discs) an it always hangs at boot, on the 1st screen reading
"Debian GNU/Linux installation menu (BIOS MODE)"
That's it , the numlock button does not even work on that keyboard. Plugged in another keyboard, also nothing worked DoA.

Used DVD in another machine (which I don't plan to install) it came up with same screen, able to navigate using cursor. Plugged another keyboard in, it also worked fine.

Difficult to know where to start . The failing machine runs squeeze, so the previous install mush have booted&worked (I'll try an old squeeze install DVD)

graemev2

Re: Hang on inital boot screen.

#2 Post by graemev2 »

well, there's a surprise.
Posting here for folks how get a similar issue .
Jessie, Wheezy, Squeeze all have same issue.

Insight came from "sysRescue CD" ...this exhibited same behaviour, but had a counter to "boot unless you make a choice" , it counted down and booted ...next stage was "select a keyboard" (44 for UK)
Here they keyboard worked!

Turns out the solution/workaround was in the BIOS, "Legacy USB support was OFF" changed this to auto. I suspect on would have worked also.

So it looks like the initial boot image on the DVD/CD only supports Legacy USB.

For background the keyboard & mouse are USB and were/are working fine under squeeze ...also worked fine during grub phase. So it's just DVD/CD boot.